flying?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by KidsandGuineas, May 12, 2016.

1. KidsandGuineas

KidsandGuineas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    Grand Rapids MN
    when will my keets be able to fly out of their brooder? they are just starting to get feathers.

2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I just started raising 2 guinea keets. Mine started flying over a 4 foot fence about 5 weeks old. I put them outside if the weather was nice and they soon learned they could fly up to the top and jump down on the other side. I clipped one wing on each guinea and that stopped them from flying. I hope this helps.

3. GlennLee

GlennLee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    We have 16 keets in a brooder box with 17" high walls. The keets are two weeks old today. They are roosting on my hand, fluttering and trying to fly. They can get up to about a foot at this point and we are looking to move them to an enclosed crate to prevent them from flying out. I can let you know how they progress. At least you and I know from pattyhen that they will be able to fly over a 4' fence at 5 weeks.

4. GlennLee

GlennLee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    At 2 1/2 weeks they made it to the top of the box 17" to perch. Good thing we put a screen over the top a few days ago.

5. Starseed

Starseed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2016
    California
    I had a guinea hen rear some keets a couple months ago. By 2 weeks old, the keets were roosting in the tree with the rest of the flock.

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Min. e are 3 weeks and can fly up 3 1/2 - 4 feet, or across 10 - 15'. They were pretty much fully feathered by 2 weeks.

Part of it might have to do with confinement/exercise. I have been taking mine outside since day 10 to get exercise, so they have had room to practice.

Note: I f I only had keets, I would not take them outside unless thoroughly contained. These two are being raised with two turkey poults so all I have to do is round up the poults and the keets follow.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by