Flying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lang4800, Jan 23, 2014.

1. lang4800

lang4800 New Egg

Dec 8, 2012
    I am getting Rhode Island Reds. I am concerned about letting them graze my land because of the risk of them flying.

-Do these hens fly?
    -Is there a way to keep them from flying?

Thanks for the help.

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Rode Island Reds are not usually good flyers. 20 feet of down "flight" is the best mine have ever done. You can clip their wings if you like. If you decide to do this, I'm sure you can find a thread here on BYC for it. I hope this helps!

3. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Do you mean flying away? They will be so big that they won't fly much. About 3-4 feet off the ground for maybe 10 feet will be about it. They could fly or fly/climb out of a 6 foot pen with no cover on it.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I have New Hampshire Reds. They aren't going anywhere. As was said, they can fly about 10 feet horizontally and maybe 2 feet off the ground at maturity. Now they can run really fast.

Chris

5. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    If you do decide to clip their flight feathers, clip only one of the wings so that when they try to fly, they can only go around in circles and will not be able to get of the ground. If you clipped both wings of each bird, then they might still manage to fly over the fence. Good luck with your chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by