Flys

mstricer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Ohio
How does everyone keep the fly population down? I've tried fly traps but they are on the ground and not willing to just fly into jug. Any suggestion?

What you need are these: http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenho ... _Trap.html[/url] I used 4 of them over the summer, so it wasn't cheap - but I think the reason I needed 4 was that we are surrounded by trees - and the chicken free-range area is totally enclosed by trees. This makes a haven for flies. They are not just a nuisance, they can be a danger to chickens. Hens, if they have a minor injury, or dirty behinds, can get fly-strike. The fly traps are fantastic. We are surrounded by fields of sheep and cattle, and usually flies are a horror all summer, but this year, we didn't notice them at all- except in the traps, which ended up full of horrible dead blue-bottles! The traps do smell horrible though - and you have to hang them well away from your house and from the hen house. I think they were well worth the money. I got them from Flyte-so-Fancy in the UK,i got this from somebody else on trhis site so just spreding the info hope it helps
big_smile.png

Thanks I'll try the one I bought. I have the kind you attach to a water jug, but they don't seem to be going in them. They are all on the ground. I bought some DE and I am also going to try it.

There is a very long post somewhere about flies and several folks recommended those car air fresheners in the Vanilla scent. I tried it and believe it or not it really works. I have four hanging in the "pen" and there are very few flies. Before I hung them, you could hear the flies buzzing around when you walked up to the pen. It's cheap and effective.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom