We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Flystrike and vent problem (Graphic photos)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jhs51684, Jul 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jhs51684

Jhs51684 Chirping

Mar 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hi community, it has been a nightmare the last 3 days. I had my first run-in with flystrike on one of my hens. I researched online and used the BYC community to assist me in getting through this. Thank you!!! I've been dunking her in salt water and pulled out lots of maggots yesterday. The last 3 times I've dunked her I haven't noticed any maggots. I'm hoping I've gotten past that part of my problem. She isn't as lethargic and she's a bit more active. But she has begun to peck at herself. I've been treating her with Vetericyn and I've put electrolytes in her water. I'm hoping she's on the road to recovery. I've noticed something sticking out of her vent, however. It looks like a wood shaving, but it isn't. It definitely looks like flesh. I've include a GRAPHIC photo to follow. Can anybody help me out with this? My main concerns are:

1.) What is this fleshy thing sticking out of her vent?
    2.) I haven't seen any maggots in 2 days, am I controlling the flystrike properly?
    2.) Any suggestions on how to get her appetite back?
    1.) Should I apply Blue Coat to get her to stop pecking herself? Does Blue Coat stop a hen from pecking at herself, or just other hens pecking at her?
    IMG_2753.PNG

Attached Files:

casportpony and Sequel like this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. Jhs51684

Jhs51684 Chirping

Mar 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wyorp Rock, THANK YOU so much for your response. I'm almost certain it was a shell membrane. I pulled on it as you suggested. It came out with just a bit of resistance. There wasn't much there but it was almost like a deflated balloon. I'll keep monitoring and go from there. Thanks again for your response. It's great to know that somebody goes out of their way to read and answer these posts.

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    What do you feed your flock?

Sequel likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad you were able to get that out. Does it seem that there was yolk and/or egg white discharge?
    How is the FlyStrike coming? All the maggots gone and the wound healing up?

Eggcessive and Jhs51684 like this.
  6. Jhs51684

Jhs51684 Chirping

Mar 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I use Dumor Layer Pellets

Texas Kiki likes this.
  7. Jhs51684

Jhs51684 Chirping

Mar 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks again for your concern. It seemed to me to just be remnants of a soft shell. This morning it looked like a few more little pieces of soft shell came out. I haven't seen a maggot in 3 days, I'm pretty certain I caught the flystrike early because they were very small (slightly smaller than a grain of rice). The wound is still ugly but I've been spraying with Vetericyn. The most promising sign is that she is much more active, making noise and her weight has definitely went up.

Wyorp Rock and Texas Kiki like this.
  8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Do you feed anything else?

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Often flystrike occurs because the bird is already ill, so I do hope that this abnormal egg is a one time event, not a sign of serious reproductive issues.
    All the best for her.
    Mary

10. Jhs51684

Jhs51684 Chirping

Mar 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I give them suitable kitchen scraps (berries, veggies), a sunflower raisin snack mix (Flock Party) from time to time, and I let them graze the yard a couple days a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: