Foal stuff.....remind me again?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by farmerlor, May 15, 2009.

1. farmerlor

farmerlor Songster

When am I supposed to do a first worming on these two baby foals? Last time I had a newborn was 4 years ago and I've forgotten. Oh, and when do they get first shots? Do I give them the four-in-one like the Mama's get?

2. CountryMom

CountryMom Songster

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Usually 6 months for shots. Wean baby anywhere from 3 to 5 months. Also use Panacur for worming in foals. I use to worm at 1 month assuming Mama had been wormed in the 30 days prior to foaling. And I use Panacur in the foals until after a year old. Ivermectin I have found to not do as good a job and can be hard on the very young and very old's tummies.

Congrats! Haven't had a foal for 3 yrs ourselves. Other than one mini who foaled unexpectedly in February. Was owned by someone else and went home a couple days later. Too cute though! LOL

3. what eggs

what eggs Chirping

Mar 9, 2009
    What schedule were the mares last wormed and vaccinated prior to foaling? Did the foals nurse on the mares in the first 24hrs?

Been a while for me but with prewormed and vacc'd mares we wormed foals at 4-6wks with panacur then every 6wks with panacur or strongid after apx 9mos stronger wormers were used rotating with the panacur/strongid
    vaccs would begin at 6mos.
    Here is a pdf with some schedules on it for foals of vacc and non vacc mares
    http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/extension/documents/AAEPFoalVaccinationChart.pdf

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. farmerlor

farmerlor Songster

Hey thanks! The mares were last vaccinated in the fall (I vax spring and fall) and their last worming was March-they're due again June 1. So I think I'll put off the worming until about June 15 and do them all at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by