1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

foam in the eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by richErich, Apr 19, 2009.

1. richErich

richErich New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    I have a hen with foam in the eyes not sure what it is, looks like bath bubbles...... Can anyone help?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN
    Vet Rx will clear it right up. Ive had a few that does that and Vet Rx always clears it right up.

3. richErich

richErich New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    Vet rx can I get that at TSC? Im new to chickens and love my girls. I thought I was treatin em good as this is the first sickness I have had....

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Some TSC carry it. You will just have to check. If they dont have it our local feed stores carry it.

5. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Foamy eye discharge? Classic sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum (commonly called Chronic Respiratory Disease). Does your hen seem listless and or/ have facial swelling or a runny nose? (The foamy eye is actually the most classic sign in any case.)

Tylan soluble (at double the suggested dose) in their drinking water sorted my girls out when they got this. Bear in mind it is hugely contagious within the flock though, so be prepared for more poorly hens if it does turn out to be MG.

Mortality is thankfully quite low, so don't worry too much (although if they aren't treated promptly then some of the secondary infections that can set in can be more dangerous to them).

Good luck with the antibiotics, hope your girl is well again soon x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by