1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

foamy chicken poop (picture attached) - what causes this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SeaChickens, Apr 9, 2016.

1. SeaChickens

SeaChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    [​IMG]

My hen let out this crazy foamy yellow poop this morning. She seems normal otherwise, eating, drinking, laying eggs and acting normal. Does anyone know what would cause this? I had a fecal test done on another hen in my flock a few weeks ago and they didn't find any evidence of worms or cocci. She had also had some foamy poops but not as dramatic as this one.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks like a cecal dropping, which occurs once in awhile. She may be drinking a lot of water to make it more runny. Here are a few examples below of cecal droppings:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

3. SeaChickens

SeaChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks @Eggcessive!
    I think that must be it. The hens have been free ranging so maybe that is why it's bigger and frothier than normal. So much different than my original flock's cecal poops which is what had me worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by