1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Foamy eye and white warty swellings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HighSpringsChix, Sep 5, 2009.

1. HighSpringsChix

HighSpringsChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Two of my hens have some weird eye/ear thing going on.

The first one was kinda foamy before I cleaned it up. The swollen area is firm, and there isn't any indication of discharge from the ear.

[​IMG]

The other one's eye is clear, but it looks like there might have been some discharge from the ear, on both sides. It's hard to tell from this angle, but the scab below her eye is on a swollen white wart looking thing. I tried to open it up to see if there was any pus, and there wasn't. It feels firm. And there is a couple of small ones on her wattles, mostly covered by my finger.
    [​IMG]

Now, I'm not sure if these are wounds from the roo. He has been pretty hard on the girls while he has been trying to mate. But the lack of pus is suspicious. That roo is getting culled today, anyway.

Neither hen, nor any of the rest of the flock is acting sick at all.

Any ideas? I isolated them and put topical antibiotic on it for now.
    These are two of my Delawares, so I'd really hope they will be ok.

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    The pullet in the 1st pic has fowl Pox..

3. HighSpringsChix

HighSpringsChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Thanks, I think you are right. I think they both have it, actually.
    Rats. I wanted to take those hens to a show next month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by