Foamy eye in month old gosling— please help

MrsHudson221B

Chirping
May 17, 2017
Texas
Hi!
I have a trio of African goslings that are doing well, EXCEPT one seems to have foamy eye?? It looks like an infected scratch on it’s clear/ second eyelid. It has redness and a small white spot, just saw foamyness/discharge this evening. I treated it like I treated eye ailments in my runner ducklings last year: put ACV in water and treated with terramycin (sp?) twice a day. But, it’s been two days and I’m not seeing much improvement. Otherwise, the gosling seems healthy: no wheezing or sneezing, keeps up with the others and has similar level of activity. The eye does bother it sometimes, and I have seen it scratch and rub it.

Other care items, just in case I’m missing something obvious: since I live in Texas, I’ve had them outside grazing for at least four hours/ day either attended or in a protected area; I’ve been swimming them in a baby pool a few times/ week, weather permitting; their brooder is a 2x8 wire brooder with foamy shelf paper for the bottom which is cleaned daily. It is outside in the chicken house, and I’ve used a heat lamp as needed.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or helpful suggestions.
Thanks so much!!

Update: This morning, things seemed better. Maybe I wasn’t applying the medicine well enough? Last night I made sure to blink the eye a couple of times after applying the antibiotic. Will continue this course until better. Really hoping to avoid a vet visit. ;-)

Thanks!

Chicken? how's she doing? since my chickens don't dunk their heads I think a saline wash would be better for a chicken with eye problems, make one up using 1/8th teaspoon salt to 1 cup nice warm water.Mix real good. You can soak a soft cloth in it and apply a compress to the eyes then take the soft cloth and using the saline wash gently clean around the eyes. Or you can pour the was over the eyes for a chicken though I think the first 2 are better.

@xXChickenXx-

Chicken? how's she doing? since my chickens don't dunk their heads I think a saline wash would be better for a chicken with eye problems, make one up using 1/8th teaspoon salt to 1 cup nice warm water.Mix real good. You can soak a soft cloth in it and apply a compress to the eyes then take the soft cloth and using the saline wash gently clean around the eyes. Or you can pour the was over the eyes for a chicken though I think the first 2 are better.

@xXChickenXx-

Thank you
She's doing a little better
Trying VetRX

Back
Top Bottom