Foamy Eye in Muscovy Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ewhitney1987, Mar 8, 2017.

1. ewhitney1987

ewhitney1987 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Hi I am new to owning ducks got my first muscovies in August. My drake has had foamy eye on and off all winter. But today when I went to feed it was worse then its ever been covered 70percent of his eye. My ducks are free range on 160 acres with a very large pond. Should I be concerned or just watch and see if it goes away like it has in the past. He doesn't seem to have any of the respiratory issues that could be associated with foamy eye. I know he has been breeding so possibly just an injury. I've just never seen his eye that foaming so it caught me off guard. Any suggestions would be great.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd just keep an eye on it unless it becomes a consistent issue. I have a flock of Muscovies and have one drake that occasionally gets a foamy eye, too - I've noticed it only happens when it's too cold to put out the pools. I figure that he must not be blowing out his nares in the gallon water pails we leave out for the ducks on those days because as soon as the pools come back out and he can bathe, the foam goes away. He is perfectly sound, otherwise. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by