Foamy eye on bullied hen

_Henny_Penny_

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2021
Lucy is a less than year old pullet nearing the point of lay. I've noticed she is at the bottom of the pecking order and recently the pecking has been more violent than usual. I am usually reluctant to intervene because every bottom chicken I've had has learned to avoid the more aggressive hens, however, Lucy is a little...slow and has been getting picked on more and more as a result. She has bloody sores all over her developing comb and around her eyes. I have tried intervening with the other hens, attempted peeper blinders (they didn't help), and now I'm not sure what to do. I know I need to separate Lucy and give her time to heal, but that isn't a long-term solution to the aggression shown by two of the other hens.

There is also the issue of the foaming eyes and apparent swelling of her comb. I don't know if it is evidence of a respiratory issue or if it is just irritation from the pecking. If someone has any advice for A) fixing overly aggressive hens or B) treating the foaming eye/swelling if it is beyond irritation caused by the pecking.
20211114_115044.jpg
20211114_115047.jpg

My gut instinct is that all the issues are a result of the pecking/bullying. I'd remove the aggressive birds from the flock for a period of time (weeks not days) until she is healed and then reintroduce them. If she remains a 'target', I would either get rid of her or the bullying birds.

Back
Top Bottom