Foamy eye problem with my Ancona

MysticAK

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Alaska
Hello all,

I had a question regarding my 5 month old female Ancona, everything was fine with her this morning, but when i came home about 6 hours later i found her with her eye slightly red and weepy, so i put her and my three other Anconas outside (2 females and 1 drake) so i could see if there was something in there nesting area or pond that may have caused this. I couldnt find anything, so i checked on her again and found that her eye started to foam (white in color). she seems to be shaking her head alittle as if it is irritating her, but she is still acting normal, drinking and eating. I did hold her and try to look at the eye, and it seems she might have a slight cut on the lower part of the outside of her eye. I am a lost of what to do and I do not have any local vets that see ducks or specialize in them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I do not want her to be in any pain or discomfort if i can help her.

She as do the other ducks have a pond they are able to swim and dunk their heads in anytime they like, it is cleaned regularly but as ducks do they seem to get it dirty within at least a day of play.

Again any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Can you get someone to hold her while you flush out the eye with some saline water- or even just water that has been boiled and then cooled down? I recently had a duck with a tiny piece of plastic stuck in her eye. I carefully washed the eye and removed the plastic- but it was still a few days before her eye was back to normal again. They can easily scratch the surface of the eye causing both irritation and the bubbling. You may be able to get some kind of eye drops from a vet that may help her.

Quote:
you can get terramycin eye ointment at TSC or the equivalent. also you can buy a product called Vetericyn it's for wounds and infection treatment. it comes in spray, I keep it on hand all the time. when you put her up in the evening spray her eye real good. you can do it anytinme during the day too, Sounds like she may have injured it somehow. Hope she gets to feeling real good quick. The verericyn doesn't burn either.
smile.png

Thank you all for your advice, she seems to be doing a little better this morning, but just to make sure the recovery continues, i am going to clean the pond again and wash her eye with saline solution. if that doesnt seem to work them i will get some eye ointment tomorrow as all the feed supply stores or pet stores that have supplies for farm animals are closed today.

There was a wild wood duck that got really beat up around his eye and it became very infected and would foam, too. It eventually got better. I agree with treating it if you can as it would speed up the healing.

Thank you for the welcome
smile.png

So far Bruiser's eye seems to be looking slightly better, it is less red but still producing white foam, i am continuing with the saline rinses and will bring her in one more time before night hits. ill try to post a photo of her eye after the saline rinse. it looks like my drake may have become alittle to aggressive with her, it is the only thing i can think of because it looks like there are some small cuts.

Quote:
What a sweet face, it does look like it irratated and sore, keep up the saline washes and if not better then get the eye salve or Vetericyn. Them boys can get rowdy.

Thank you for the advice, Bruiser is a sweetie well when her eye isn't bothering her, you can definitely tell her she is a little cranky over the eye thing. I do have the Vetericyn at my parents house, which i will probably drive in tomorrow and grab it so i have it on hand. But it that safe to use on the eye wounds, like if it actually gets on the eye?

Back
Top Bottom