Foamy eye, stinky poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Spinster_Sister, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Spinster_Sister

Spinster_Sister Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    My pullet, Sugar, has developed a foamy/bubbly eye and her poops stink! She is eating and drinking, is not puffed up and seems to be OK. The eye developed overnight but the stinky poop for the past few days. I hope it is not Coryza, my local feed store said, it's not coryza just an upper respiratory, treat the duramycin, 1 tsp per gallon for 7 days. Do not eat eggs.

Your opinion please? The feedstore does not sell sulfamethazone or gallimycin.

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Is it the poop or her face? Smell her face and see if the smell is coming from there. If so, likely coryza. If it is the actual poop........not sure then!

3. Spinster_Sister

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    Just got back from the backyard and she does not smell from her face, the foamy stuff is gone and she is not wheezing, coughing or open beak breathing. The one eye that had the white foam was at the tearduct corner of the eye and it is clear but looks just abit irritated/swollen. Her poops stink though....not that cecal smell that you all know but a more fresh runny dog poop smell.

She hasn't laid an egg for 2-3 days thus far.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  4. Spinster_Sister

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    I called DurVet regarding their Duramycin-10 that I have on hand right now. I spoke to a man, (I forgot his name) who is knowledgable regarding chickens. He recommended using the Duramycin-10 for 5-7 days straight. Since I have a small flock, the mixture is :

1/4 TBS per Quart of water - MIX A NEW BATCH EVERY MORNING
    Add a good 3 pinches of Jello (strawberry, cherry) powder to the water to help hid the taste of the tetracycline
    Discard their eggs during and for 3 weeks after the end of medication
    You can feed their eggs back to the infected birds or to your dogs (?)

He said the Duramycin-10 will works well on Infectious Coryza and Sinovitius.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by