Foamy eye...UPDATE: Fowlpox? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeePants, Sep 13, 2011.

1. TeePants

TeePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Soooo...one of the new chicks has a foamy eye. The lid is only ever so slightly swollen, and she's not coughing/sneezing so I don't think it's CRD or anything like that. I have some Terramycin on hand that we use for our cat (she gets chronic eye infections). Should I apply this, or should I just flush the eye with water?

I am going to be so upset if these guys are harboring some horrible bacterial URI. That would just be my luck, lol.

UPDATE
    So, he does have a few scabby looking lesions on his feet. Some are just weird white spots, some are black scabs, and I don't think it's poo, although he has made a few runny ones (mostly normal poo but there was a little diarrhea mixed in).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Try the terramycin in her eye, just make sure not to cross contaminate the tube by touching the eye itself. Put in 2 to 3 times a day. I'd also isolate if possible, just in case it's contageous.

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Tylan 50 works better, its injectable, but it can be given orally as well

4. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Well I only have the splash and it's buff sibling. Should I isolate the two since the buff isn't showing signs? Or does it matter since they've been in the same pen since they were hatched?

I got these guys yesterday from a local lady, and so far it's been a little disheartening. The splash has a broken/deformed toe and pink toes/toenails that I didn't notice till I got it home, on top of the eye infection.

5. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Quote:Where can I get Tylan 50? Is it ok to use the Teramycin until I can get some?

edit: I googled it and I am pretty darn sure I've seen it at TSC. I'll have to go by next chance. Might just use the Terramycin until then, I'm used to dosing it since our cat has chronic eye problems.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  6. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    That'd be totally up to you as to isolate since there's only 2 of them.
    I don't generally start anything on antibiotics unless I'm sure exactly what they have. Due to increased resistance and the fact they kill off the bad AND good bacteria and if you don't know what you're dealing with, then you're treating with an antibiotic that may or may not clear the condition up.
    I usually boost chicks with poly vi sol infant vitamins w/o iron, for at least 2 to 3 weeks, then wean off. I also give them a bit of kelp and probiotics sprinkled on their crumbles and also feed extra protein in the form of scrambled eggs so their immune system stays strong naturally. Poultry Nutri Drench is good too, lots of enzymes, vitamins/minerals and amino acids that give them a boost. I found that they like it better in food than in water as young chicks though.
    That's just my preference and I realize that many others start antibiotics and do fine.

7. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Hmmm, I read that right AFTER I flushed his eye/applied the ointment. Sorry, I'm just so used to doing it for our cat I figured I'd get it out of the way! He took it like a little gentleman, at least.

He's on purina start and grow, which is what his previous owners had him on, but I was planning on weaning them off it onto a organic grower from countryside organics. Also planning to go get some pumpkin and offer them chopped seeds in case of parasites. I really had wanted to start them on a different feed but it's all they have locally here and it's what he was already eating, and I didn't want to be introducing him to a new home AND diet all at the same time.

I had some Grow-Gel Plus and some Sav-a-Chick, which I was keeping for the eggs I tried (and failed!) to hatch. Would that be at all useful? I will go look for those infant vitamins tomorrow.

8. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Start n Grow is fine to feed til you get the other feed. How old are the chicks? If you offer seeds or anything not soft and disolveable like the crumbles they'll need chick grit so they can digest it. I think I remember they weren't supposed to have grit til 4 weeks, but not totally sure on that.
    I've had my chicks be shipped with the gro gel plus, but haven't used the sav-a-chick. It may be along the same lines as the nutri drench but I don't know if it enters the bloodstream as quickly.
    I've literally had a hen in deep heat distress earlier this summer, and after hosing her and getting her under a fan gave her some of the Nutri Drench on bread and she was perked back up in less than an hour. I'd tried same thing before I ordered the stuff with 2 others in the heat and they both didn't make it [​IMG].

Hope he does better, and keep us posted! I'll check tomorrow when I get home.
    Have a good morning, I've got to call it a day here! [​IMG]

9. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks for all the help! They are four weeks old, but I was going to use a food processor to chop up some raw pumpkin guts. I will look into chick grit as well.

His eye seems much clearer just from flushing it, so it may have just been a piece of feather sheath that got lodged in his eye (they've still got a few ratty pincushiony bits hanging around, I combed them a little earlier today to get them used to being held). We'll see how it's looking in 12 hours.

Thanks again everyone. I'd be so lost if I'd have never found this forum! [​IMG]

10. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Argh, checked on it this morning and it's foamy again. Flushed and applied antibiotics. Should I be thinking about calling the person I got them from to ask her to take them back? I don't want to keep them if this is something serious.

Edit: And by that I mean...something that would make it inhumane for me to get other birds later, like a herpes-type virus. If this is just an infection caused by the fact that he's dirty or has mites or something, that's fine. I don't mind treating him for those things, and I plan on bathing him (he's kind of gross, esp. in the feet area) today with an all natural mild flea shampoo advertised for any age puppy (I used it on my 1-2 week old kitten). I'm not trying to sound irresponsible or that I don't want to deal with treating him, but these are our first chickens for our new house and I don't want to start off with CRD!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by