1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

foamy eye!?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thejperez, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Thejperez

Thejperez Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Georgetown, FLORIDA
    One of my Hens has went broody and has been laying for about a week. I thought she got eaten when she wasn't in her pen, then yesterday I found her by are garbage can with nine eggs under her. One of the first things I noticed was her foamy eye. One of my male ducks also had foamy eyes about a month ago. I didn't get a chance to post it when it got better.

...... Sooo I just tried to add a picture of her foamy eye but it wouldn't upload. I'll try again in a little while after the phone is charged.

2. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Ur-ur-ur-urrr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    Look up infectious coryza. Foamy eye(s), listlessness, nasal discharge, diarrhea, crusty eyes, odd shaped eyelids, one or both eyes closed, are symptoms of infectious coryza. If it is coryza, the symptoms normally pass, and the bird will look healthy again. It results in reduced egg production, and though the bird may appear to be healthy, it will be a carrier for life with a high probability of transmitting the disease to any other birds it comes in contact with. Many times, the symptoms will pass before becoming noticed, especially in a large flock, and it may appear that only one or a few birds look sick, when in fact the whole flock may be contaminated. There is no cure for coryza, and the only way to eliminate it is to destroy the infected birds. If possible, have your birds tested. I truly hope this isn't the case. I recently purchased two lavender buff orpintons, only to kill and incinerate them 4 days later when one of them developed symptoms of coryza. It had to be done to protect my flock, which fortunately, they had not come in contact with. Let us know what you find out...

3. Thejperez

Oct 7, 2014
    Georgetown, FLORIDA
    The hen has no swelling, nasal discharge or anything you said. She is, after all, setting so her poop is not exactly normal as of now. I did look up the disease and what I seen was that ducks don't get infectious coryza. Her eyes looks exactly like his eyes did. She doesn't act any different other than her being bloody. At the moment I'd like to see any other causes That fit better.

4. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    I wasn't referring to the duck... only the chicken. LOL! If you google or bing foamy eye in chickens, you'll find that most sites point to coryza... however, micoplasma gallisepticum can also cause foamy eye. Both of these diseases are extremely contagious. All symptoms may not develop at the same time, so the foamy eye may be one of the early signs. I highly recommend that you quarantine this bird and monitor her closely for other symptoms. I'm not trying to scare you, but it's far better to be safe... than sorry.

5. Thejperez

Oct 7, 2014
    Georgetown, FLORIDA
    Were her nest is is away from all the other chickens. I would have to take her to the vet for the test wouldn't I? I have a money issue as of right now so I would like to see If this could be anything else simple.

6. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    I understand. I wanted to take mine to the local vet, but the vet told me he could only take a swab and sent it off for testing, which wouldn't be very accurate. He said the only accurate test would require me taking the birds to a USDA laboratory 70 miles away. I didn't want to buy gas and pay a lab fee only to find they would have to dispose of them. Rather than risk losing them, and be out more money, I cut my losses and disposed of them myself. It was something I absolutely hated to do, but I had to for the sake of my flock. As much joy as this hobby brings us, sometimes we have to make hard choices. Culling sick birds to protect the flock is one of, if not the hardest choice. If you can't have it tested, at least keep it isolated as far away from the other birds as possible. If you get a chance to get a good picture of the eye, please post it as soon as you can. Also, ask around the neighborhood to see if you can find a service tech for commercial chicken farms in the area. If you find one, perhaps they'll look at the bird and give a more accurate diagnosis.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Foamy eyes is more of a sign of possible mycoplasma or MG, a respiratory disease which can cause sinus infections. But foam in an eye without other symptoms, may be from other things such as trauma to the eye or swelling around an eye due to pecking. Look for nasal drainage, sneezing, eye or facial swelling, and noisy breathing. If the eye is not foamy tomorrow, and has cleared up, I would just watch it. If you notice any of the respiratory symptoms, then Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally or as an injection, or oxytetracycline can be given in the water.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There is another cause for foamy eyes which is a blocked tear duct. You can flush the eye with saline or use warm wet compresses, and tetracycline is good if it is an infection. Your duck may have had foamy eyes because he needed to rinse his eyes in water frequently-- a duck necessity, but they can also get infections.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  9. Thejperez

Oct 7, 2014
    Georgetown, FLORIDA
    [​IMG]

She's a lot smaller than she looks, she got all puffy when I got close earlier.

10. Thejperez

Oct 7, 2014
    Georgetown, FLORIDA
    This is her this morning. When I got to her she heard me but didn't see me. Then I moved my hand to the other eye she got all puffy and started the broody hiss.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by