Foamy eye

ayeitsmeme

Songster
6 Years
Mar 23, 2016
North Carolina
My mallard drake has some foam in his eye and the skin above his eye is raw. I figure it got injured since hes been battling his khaki Campbell brother this whole mating season. They have plenty of clean water that's deep enough to submerge an entire duck and no signs of any respiratory issues. Would you think triple antibiotic ointment on that raw spot above the eye would be a good idea. Having dealt with this before with him it seemed like it didnt clear until I let him rinse it himself and stopped trying to wash it out, because he kept scratching at it when I did.

If the underlying cause isn't correct this is just going to keep continuing regardless of treatment, sounds like you either need to separate them, or get rid of one. I'd be worried about permanent eye damage if they continue to be housed with each other.

Hi, there! :frow

Just checking in to see how your bird is doing. Updates to these type of threads are quite useful for people in the future experiencing the same problem.

Hi, there! :frow

Just checking in to see how your bird is doing. Updates to these type of threads are quite useful for people in the future experiencing the same problem.
It corrected. Just squirted saline rinse in his eye when it was really foamy and did goo it up with triple antibiotic ointment a few days. They're both doing well, as soon as mating season calms down they both go back to loving each other. Only having 2 ducks I could never just "get rid of one or separate them." I'm not sure you quite understand how bonded 2 ducks are when they're raised together and bond together. Yes they go through horomones, yes they may get into minor altercations from time to time since they are males and hormones flare during the spring and summer. And yes Squeak isn't exactly the fondest of washing his own eyes out. But I would never want to see Squeak without his buddy, they do everything together. And yes his eye cleared and I didn't have to cause him undue emotional damage.

It corrected. Just squirted saline rinse in his eye when it was really foamy and did goo it up with triple antibiotic ointment a few days. They're both doing well, as soon as mating season calms down they both go back to loving each other. Only having 2 ducks I could never just "get rid of one or separate them." I'm not sure you quite understand how bonded 2 ducks are when they're raised together and bond together. Yes they go through horomones, yes they may get into minor altercations from time to time since they are males and hormones flare during the spring and summer. And yes Squeak isn't exactly the fondest of washing his own eyes out. But I would never want to see Squeak without his buddy, they do everything together. And yes his eye cleared and I didn't have to cause him undue emotional damage.

Glad to hear the problem resolved.

I am aware of the strong bondships ducks form when raised together as I have around fifty. I am also aware of their health needs, and I when there is repeated injuries and problems happening I isolate and address the cause.

I have females here who stick to some of the males like super glue, the problem is, sometimes the drakes overmate the hens and cause severe damage. IMO, I would rather have a emotionally hurt duck for a week, then, if it comes to worst of it, a blind or dead duck.

I guess a should have been more clear with my post above. If there is repeated damage being done to the drake to the point where you have to constantly treat him for eye problems, you should consider doing something with drake. If it's only a once or twice thing a year, you could probably let it slide.

Glad to hear the problem resolved.

I am aware of the strong bondships ducks form when raised together as I have around fifty. I am also aware of their health needs, and I when there is repeated injuries and problems happening I isolate and address the cause.

I have females here who stick to some of the males like super glue, the problem is, sometimes the drakes overmate the hens and cause severe damage. IMO, I would rather have a emotionally hurt duck for a week, then, if it comes to worst of it, a blind or dead duck.

I guess a should have been more clear with my post above. If there is repeated damage being done to the drake to the point where you have to constantly treat him for eye problems, you should consider doing something with drake. If it's only a once or twice thing a year, you could probably let it slide.
Well if you have 50 ducks that answers why you don't understand having just 2. I cant just separate them and expect in a week things would be fine. If you have 50 you can split them and have them go on about their lives with friends......with 2 that would essentially make them solitary animals. And ducks, like many animals are not solitary animals. That's not just oh the duck will be a little sad. Breaking them up would cause a great deal of emotional damage and quite honestly would go against their instinct.....and that is something I don't intend to intentionally inflict upon them.

If they wanted to kill each other its one thing, yet again....splitting them up at that point would kind of be a no brainer. Just like at nights during mating season Squeak sleeps with the chickens, under his own selection. He gets time to rest and by morning he's first out the door looking for his friend to go do stuff with. Now they're back to wanting to sleep together at nights...yet again 4.5 years togther, I'm not messing with what works for them.

Back
Top Bottom