1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Foamy eyed Scovey????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MakNat, Dec 5, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I have 1 drake out of 7 ducks and 40 + chickens and the 1 drake has this crazy amount of white foam in his eyes.. Seems completely fine otherwise.. No heavy breathing or snot.. Eats fine plays in the pool... Is trying to breed.. Flys around... I did post this earlier and someone suggested to give him some antibiotics. I did today soaked his bread in it. Hope it wasn't to much.??.... It would be WAY to stressful for both of us for me to try and catch him and wrestle him down to put ointment in his eyes, which was the second suggestion. He cleans them out himself, they look clear s a bell. It looks like he crys soap suds. Guess I'll give him a little dose for a few more days? He is good about eating the soaked bread and is an Alpha, so no one else can eat it.... Just hope I'm doing the right thing. Oh yeah, Taking him to a Vet is out of the question around here.. THX

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My hen Nibbles had something like this after she was attacked by the geese. maybe he got pecked in the eye? nibbles stopped after a while.

3. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Foamy Eye is common with Muscovy, especially the drakes and especially during winter. I think they just don't practice as good hygiene as they should due to the cold. Unless the bird has other health issues I would not worry. Listlessness, off feed, poor coloring on the caruncling, etc. Foamy eye can be associated with sickness but I've actually not ever heard of it occurring to anyone I've spoken with.

4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Did not know that, good to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by