1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Foamy on and around the eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dwdoc, Dec 19, 2010.

1. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    I went out to check on my two 9 week old pullets this morning and one of my Barred Rocks has what appears to be foam on and around both her eyes. I have no clue what this is. BTW I have only had them for a week today... Thanks for the assist. If you need a pic let me know and I try and have her pose for me.

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
  3. dwdoc

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    Thank you Clay. Put her on Antibiotics.

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Also a good idea to quarantine her if possible until you are more sure of what might be going on with the hen. She might be an infection risk to others, or they might be carriers as well so there is not added risk. All sort of depends on your flock and it's health history.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Since they have all been together might be a good idea to treat them all.

6. dwdoc

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    I really appreciate the assistance. I am really new to having chickens. I am literally a week and two days into this; of course one of my first two pullets would be ill.

Either way, I am treating all four as advised. The one who is showing symptoms has been caged separately.

This morning she seems to be more energitic; a good sign.

I will keep her apart from the rest for the next week. Hopefully there will not be a problem reintegrating her back into the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by