Foamy poop, losing weight, at a loss.

Jan 4, 2022
Dallas, Georgia.
I've come to this site a few weeks ago in regards to my top hen Sadie. She had signs of vent gleet and was expelling many lash eggs, and I was suggested nystatin, monistat, and an antibiotic (I chose amoxicillin) for the two conditions. Before all that i treated with Corrid, thinking it was another illness. I also continued epsom salt baths every other day, and tried feeding her yogurt and banana which she suddenly did not enjoy anymore. She responded well to the amoxicillin and completely stopped producing lash eggs, but the other symptoms persist. I ran out of monistat, but continued the nystatin. She will eat feed, but not much else. She is still alert and will be enthusiastic about a food that she is interested in, and has enough energy to buck up at the bantam rooster she hasnt met yet. Drinks water fine. By the end of the day, her crop is already empty as if she didn't eat constantly all day, but is pooping constantly. She still has white crusty butt, has lost half her body mass, is weak, unable to jump, and sometimes her little chirps of greeting sound like a strain. She hasn't laid an egg in months, never molted with the others. I'm suspecting maybe another illness beside vent gleet? I really don't know what to do anymore but she's such a good chicken and deserves as much help as I can give her. Photos of her most recent poops for reference.

Attachments

• 20221109_173813.jpg
    20221109_173813.jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20221109_173837.jpg
    20221109_173837.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221109_173753.jpg
    20221109_173753.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221109_173720.jpg
    20221109_173720.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221109_173649.jpg
    20221109_173649.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 6
I read your other thread and you were given good info there. Lash eggs are caused by salpingitis, which is very stubbornly resistant to treatment. Sometimes antibiotics will knock it back some and give them some time, but rarely is it effective long term. It's just extremely resistant to treatments. Amoxicillin I have not found to be particularly effective for it. Many birds will have good periods and bad periods, often after passing lash material they will feel better for a while. Not seeing it passed does not mean it's not there. Many times it just builds up inside the abdomen. If a bird lives long enough they can get very distended and hard abdomens, legs get pushed apart causing them to waddle.
For mine, I leave them with the flock until they are obviously not feeling well, go off food and water, isolate themselves, or get attacked by the flock. Then I euthanize. I've had them survive 18 months in some cases, but many pass much more quickly than that. I've tried treating many, tried just about every antibiotic and combination out there, including Baytril, sadly I have not saved one. Sadly, there is not much you can do other than try to keep her comfortable and enjoy the time she has left. :hugs
More on salpingitis and lash eggs here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

I read your other thread and you were given good info there. Lash eggs are caused by salpingitis, which is very stubbornly resistant to treatment. Sometimes antibiotics will knock it back some and give them some time, but rarely is it effective long term. It's just extremely resistant to treatments. Amoxicillin I have not found to be particularly effective for it. Many birds will have good periods and bad periods, often after passing lash material they will feel better for a while. Not seeing it passed does not mean it's not there. Many times it just builds up inside the abdomen. If a bird lives long enough they can get very distended and hard abdomens, legs get pushed apart causing them to waddle.
For mine, I leave them with the flock until they are obviously not feeling well, go off food and water, isolate themselves, or get attacked by the flock. Then I euthanize. I've had them survive 18 months in some cases, but many pass much more quickly than that. I've tried treating many, tried just about every antibiotic and combination out there, including Baytril, sadly I have not saved one. Sadly, there is not much you can do other than try to keep her comfortable and enjoy the time she has left. :hugs
More on salpingitis and lash eggs here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
Ok, thank you for the info. Her abdomen doesn't seem to have changed much, it feels very normal still and she hasn't been feeling well for awhile. How long did it take for their abdomen to change?

It's very hard to predict, every bird is a little different. Some happen quickly, some happen slowly. Sometimes infection becomes severe, they can become septic and pass quickly. In some cases they can become completely blocked with the lash material. Some birds just slowly deteriorate.

Back
Top Bottom