foamy redish brown poop???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by julietree, May 9, 2009.

1. julietree

julietree New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    I switched feed for my one month old chicks. Now they poo reddish brown. Will they adjust? Is it the food or are they getting sick?

2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    What did you switch them to?

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    every 5-10 poops (give/take) are foamy, brownish-red poops (and UBER stinky, btw). they are cecal droppings and totally normal.

unless they are showing signs of illness, it may just be cecal poop and their bodies adjusting to a new feed.

4. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I wonder if you did not mix 1/2 old feed and 1/2 new feed?
    also they could use some
    wet mash probiotic

for each chick do this
    multiply the amt of chicks to this recipe and feed what they can east in 20-30 minutes

2tsp of dry crumbles
    4 tsp of milk any kind
    2 tsp of yoguart non flavored
    feed this twice a day till the manure becomes regular again
    by then they will be accustom to the new feed

5. julietree

julietree New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    I dont know the first brand b/c I got it in bulk, but the new brand is nutrina nature wise "layer feed". It says it is for adults, but the guy at the feed store swore to me that it was for chicks too.

Thanks for you help.

6. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    no it is not for chicks
    he just didn't have chick feed and sold you some layer
    it only makes sense that if it was for chicks it would be called chick starter and grower
    you keep them on it till the hens lay then give the layer
    so you are back to square one
    is there not another feed store to buy chick feed
    also tell the guy who sold it to you it has toooooo much calcium in it for chicks

also I never liked nutrena as it has something added that makes different manure on chicks
    but then I found purina a very good feed from chick to grower to layena
    try and go buy some chick starter and do not feed this layer to the chicks
    take some duck tap and seal the bag good and tight and put in a cool dark area and save for the chicks when they are laying

you have to be able to trust the guy selling the feed and this was not a good guy either

7. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I've had people that have no clue about birds try to sell me stuff, food, supplies (sure chickens can use cedar chips [​IMG]) Check here for info, follow your gut and if you are lucky you have choices to buy supplies. I do not. Agway is all there is for a good 30 miles so I need to be diligent about what I buy. Stay here and be informed about the right stuff for your babies! Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by