foamy, watery eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknmania, Mar 5, 2014.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    OK, so what is this? We have an Ameracauna pullet who has developed foamy stuff in both eyes. We have a rooster who's seven years old, we've had him since a chick, and he periodically develops this foamy, watery eye condition, but it seems to go away on it's own, he's never had any other symptoms, and since he's never been sick I've never really worried about it. The pullet does not seem sick either. I researched eye worm but I don't think that is what it is. Can anyone fill me in on this? And how should we be treating it?

2. hiddenflock

hiddenflock Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not 100% certain what it is, but one time we had a bronchitis case in our flock (they're all fine now) and they got foamy eyes from that. But since you said he hasn't been displaying other symptoms, I'm not sure that's it...injuries to the eye also cause foaming, or getting water in their eye. Maybe you could just put a little apple cider vinegar in their water and see if it helps?

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I'll try that. I'm mostly concerned about the pullet. The rooster has had it for so long, I can't imagine it's anything major. I did notice her sneezing a few days ago. I gave her ACV then in the water Ithe whole flock) and her sneezing stopped. ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by