fodder controller

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmnerd, Dec 22, 2014.

1. farmnerd

farmnerd New Egg

Dec 22, 2014
    Hey everyone,

I have started growing wheat fodder and decided that it was a little too boring and being a process engineer I'm thinking about fully automating the process but at the same staying under $100 for the whole system.

So here is what I am thinking, and I would appropriate any feedback from the expert fodder growers here.

I have 2 diff ideas, either system would allow water to start at the top and go to the bottom being caught in a large bin at the bottom.

Idea 1, circulate same water

1) The system back bone would be a raspberry pi, for those that dont know, a raspberry pi is a small, low power, inexpensive computer ($20-$30).,
    2) Automatically Be able to turn on and off (as many times as you want/need per day) a water pump to circulate water
    3) Record/display temperature and humidity, be able to see trends for example see the temp was hour by hour.
    4) Be able to turn on and off a grow light

Idea 2, fresh water
    1) The system back bone would be a raspberry pi
    2) Be able to turn on and off (as many times as you want/need per day) fresh water
    3) Be able to turn on and off 1 or more times a a water pump to remove old water that is captured in a bin a the buttom
    4) Record/display temperature and humidity, be able to see trends for example see the temp was hour by hour.
    5) Be able to turn on and off a grow light
    6) Have water level sensors to never allow 2 much water to fill the bottom bin, if the water got to a certain height then it would not be able to add fresh water and potential alert you via text message that the catch water bin water level was too high.

Other idea in the bucket
    - turn on and off fans to reduce mold

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by