fodder/free feed/scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by okiemamachick, Feb 23, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Ok so I used to have only hens which I bought layer crumbles for but I now have a rooster so I switched to the all flock because rooster all rent supposed to have layer right? I added a tray of oyster shell but it doesn't seem like the girls even touch it. So I sprinkle some on the ground thinking the girls will scratch and peck it. Then it dawned on me that the rooster will probably do the same so why not feed layer or half layer half all flock? Now I also feed a mix of wheat and boss fodder it's a tray that maybe 5×7 inches with roughly 1.5-2 cups of grain turned into fodder I feed this once a day. I also let them free range typically all day unless we are having predator problems then I keep them in the run till the situation is handled. In the evening I give them about a coffee cup worth of scratch grains to warm them up befor bed (we've been having snow) and below freezing temps I know they are fine in the cold and all but this scratch routine also help make sure they get into the coop on a timely manner. I have 6 hens and 1 rooster what changes if any should I make to my feed regimen? Oh and I also put braggs in their water.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    it sounds ok to me. I feed my flock layer pellets (when i am feeding store-bought food) and my roosters eat it just fine. though, my birds are not given much store bought food.

If you have any kitchen scraps, they love them. We get free produce from our church during the winter and the birds adore have green food. during "growing" time (when there is green grass and i am raising meat birds) they are fed mostly from pasture and the chicken garden. They also get the whey when we we make cheeses, and plenty of fodder. The show birds get more feed than the others.

I've never heard of putting braggs in the water...what are the benefits? I usually put in whey or apple cider vinegar for the probiotics (it helps then not to have any crop problems).

3. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Braggs is apple cider vinegar. It's the brands name lol thanks for your input! I was hoping what I was doing is ok but wanted to run it by yall first!

4. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I've had many roosters who ate layer pellets along with their hens their whole lives, and they seemed fine. The excess calcium is theoretically not ideal for non-laying birds, but not ideal and dangerous aren't exactly the same thing.

Are you talking about braggs, the mineral boullion condiment that's like soy sauce? Because that sounds like a bad idea to me--excessive amounts of salt aren't good, and that's like forcing them to drink sea water?! Or do you mean braggs brand acv...?

5. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Haha, ok, you beat me to it!

Looking at your op again, I think I'd be inclined to stick with the layer if I were you. Making sure that the hens get enough calcium is WAY more important than being concerned about the rooster getting too much (and I recommend offering oystershell even if you feed layer--you won't see them eat a lot of it, but they do eat some now and then when they need it).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I agree with cityfarmer. The layer feed will not hurt your roosters. In fact they need a little calcium as well. My rooster eat out of the oyster shell feeder occasionally too.

7. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    He actually was attacked by a dog and got away mostly unscathed he lost almost ALL of his tail feathers so I wondered what makes feathers calcium? Protein? I will switch back to layer feed then I just bought some so that's already in the works lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by