Fodder seed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TysonDSMIowa, Nov 6, 2015.

1. TysonDSMIowa

TysonDSMIowa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2015
    Des Moines Iowa
    What is your favorite type of fodder seeds that you like to grow and feed your chickens?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Barley has to be #1. After that; wheat, sunflower seeds, buckwheat, peas.

3. carlsaSC

carlsaSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    OK, Chickencanoe, I'll accept your choices. I have been having mold problems with my feed wheat becoming moldy before sprouting. These are holdovers from last winter's supply. Any hints on preventing mold?

BTW, I've also been sprouting a clover/chicory mix that is sold at Tractor Supply as seed for a deer plot. The chickens eat it, but I recall they were insane about the wheat sprouts.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Clover and alfalfa would be good too as would turnips, beets or radish.
    Barley and sunflower seed sprouts the fastest.
    There are a couple tricks. Don't oversoak the seed. A 2 hour soak is sufficient and if you live where humidity is higher a one hour soak works. Seed soaked for 8 hours will take longer to sprout and seed soaked 24 hours will take forever if at all. The longer it takes to sprout the better chance of mold.
    Air movement over the tray helps.
    Frequent rinsing makes a big difference.
    I do a 2 hour soak, spread the seed and then rinse 3 or 4 times a day for the first few days and then twice a day or once a day if the tray has a cover. You'll get rapid growth at the right temperature.
    When I started, I had big mold issues but my initial soak was too long and I didn't rinse often enough.
    About 70F is the sweet spot for some of the seeds I mentioned.

Here's a couple links for your further reading.

http://www.rollitup.org/t/germination-guide.5343/

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

5. tjalred

tjalred Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    Utah
    We are currently using Barley and BOSS for fodder. We're looking to add Alfalfa and Wheat to the seed mix. How do I determine how much of each to use? The girls still have access to lay mash and about an 1/8 of an acre to play on. Thanks!

6. Annjee

Annjee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2015
    Lancaster, Pa
    Where can I find barley seed? I thought I could just use barley from the grocery store but it didn't sprout.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  7. tjalred

tjalred Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    Utah
    We buy ours from a local feed store. We also buy it from a farm store (they carry seeds for farmers). I'd call your local feed store or an IFA. Good luck!

8. Annjee

Mar 6, 2015
    Lancaster, Pa

9. Annjee

Mar 6, 2015
    Lancaster, Pa

I tried Tractor Supply, figuring they would have it- they didn't. I just wanted a small amount to get started, finally. I will probably just order it online. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by