Fodder setup

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by learycow, Jan 24, 2013.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Does anyone grow their own fodder for their waterfowl/ chickens?
    I have been looking into growing sprouts and such for mine but would like to see what everyone else has out there.
    Pictures would be great!
    Also, ideas on what sprouts/fodder your birds seem to like best/grow best, etc.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi!

I am also looking into sprouts for the ducks. Last summer I grew some hull-less oats and that was great! Pretty easy to grow, and when they were ready, I cut them down with a scythe, gathered them up and stored them in giant kraft paper bags in a dry shed. Then I would take a bundle out and toss in the pen. The ducks ate the oats and the straw was right there for bedding.

Not a winter thing, but something to think about for summer.

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
  4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
  5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I started growing fodder for the geese once the cold hit. Now that they are no longer with us, I am basically doing a sprout/fodder type thing. The ducks were just pulling everything up when I'd give them and the chickens bricks of fodder and the chickens wouldn't eat the 4-6" pieces on the ground. So, I am doing a similar thing put just not letting it grow so big.

I got a 50lb bag of wheat back in November I still have a few lbs left. With the cold, the master bathtub became my growing spot (hubby loves that LOL) When I was growing fodder, I'd use about 2 cups of wheat a day and now I'm using 1 cup a day. I just toss the big sprouts out for them to find.

6. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    I've grown sprouts for our ducks before, but hadn't thought of fodder/letting it grow up past sprouts stage... I've been going through the link listed above and am very excited to start something up for our flock!

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    This is awesome! Thanks everyone for the great links and ideas!
    I can't wait to get mine set up and started. I have a daylight basement so I'm thinking that will be the best place for me to grow it

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    This is so good!

Uhm, where is it going to fit in my Grand Plan? Somewhere along with the vermiculture, mealworms, aquaponics . . . .

Beautiful, simple. Bravo!

1 person likes this.
  9. SHRIVERFARMGIRL

SHRIVERFARMGIRL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Akron IN
  10. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by