Fodder vs Fermentation

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vconner, Jan 25, 2014.

1. vconner

vconner Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    What would be better for my girls fermenting their feed or growing fodder? I have done both and am wondering if one is better than the other. Or should I do both?

2. fintuckyfarms

fintuckyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    I have not fermented, only fed as fodder and I love the results. The girls love it too and kept laying right thru molting. I will be following...

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well...... the fodder fans will say fodder......the fermentation fans will say fermentation.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    And those of us that do neither will say we are doing fine.

Don't overthink it. Do what you are comfortable with. You and they will be fine.

5. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    I'm planning on doing both! Fodder in the morning so they can have some fresh greens every day, and fermented feed for dinner as extra variety. :)

6. MandalaMaMa

MandalaMaMa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast
    I'm new to both but am eager to try both. I have been fermenting food for a week now and just started some wheat fodder yesterday. I only have 6 chickens so doing it on a small scale to see if I like it and if the girls like it. So far so good. It took a few try's to get the fermenting down. It I have a really good batch going now. I have learned so much here on BYC. Everyone is so helpful and supportive. I am so grateful for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by