Foghorn died....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SoccerMomof7, Dec 22, 2008.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Songster

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay I know it has been forever since I have been on, it has been a crazy school year. Last night I went to check the chickens before bed and found my rooster dead. He was under a year old, I have no idea what happened to him, he had no visible injuries and no previous symptoms. I need to know how long my chickens eggs will be good to incubate, I would really like a little foghorn. The only problem it that they aren't laying very often and all the eggs except the 1 from today is in the refrigerator. I don't have an incubator and don't have the $$$ to purchase one this close to Christmas. What can I do? What do I do with the egg until I figure it out? Help someone!

2. Verboten

Verboten Songster

May 25, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    I would take the more recent eggs out of the fridge so hopefully you will have more chances. It sounds like some people have had good luck with refridgerated eggs.

edit: and do a search for MissPrissy's threads about her homemade incubator. - it seems to be inexpensive, simple and effective. Best of luck to you!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  3. Verboten

Verboten Songster

May 25, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    Did you mean to post the same thread twice?

4. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Songster

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    What do you mean?

I placed another thread in Incubating/hatching to figure out what to do with the eggs after I thought about the fact that would be a more appropriate place for this thread! Thanks though.

5. Verboten

Verboten Songster

May 25, 2008
    Southern Oregon
  6. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Songster

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    Your hen's eggs will be fertile for the next 3 to 6 weeks. I have found on the internet that hens retain rooster goo for 3 weeks but some have reported fertile eggs up to 6 weeks later. You can check out this link to determine your hen's are still laying fertile eggs:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Hope this helps you. I don't think you have to be overly worried about getting enough hatching eggs to replace your roo. [​IMG]

7. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Songster

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
  8. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Songster

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Thank you so much but Katy is going to incubate them for me. I am so thankful for this site, I would be completely lost on numerous occasions if it wasn't here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: