Foghorn Leghorn

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CamilleGraubman, Jul 3, 2016.

1. CamilleGraubman

CamilleGraubman New Egg

Jul 3, 2016
    My neighbor behind me accquired 2 hens and 1 rooster-a Leghorn. They had planned to eat them as soon as they got them, but I must have said something to them that spared their lives. One hen was killed by 2 dogs which came into their yard. Their wooden fence has openings in it which they haven't fixed. The rooster, Foghorn, has come to live in my bushes. Because I knew nothing about feeding chickens, I fed him cracked corn and corn cut off of the cob. He will crow in the morning, but he stays in the shade the rest of the time, Before, when he lived behind me, he strutted and crowed all day long. Now,I have learned, to feed him whole dried corn and bread. I have had him for 10 days. His real owner keep saying that he will build him a structure, but it just isn't happening. The hen is still at the owner's house. I do not know what he is feeding her. I think he must be either sick or depressed--or both. Please give me some advice. He looks fine-no drainage or sores on him. He eats bread like he is starving..I don't know what to do to help him.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

Thank you for taking care of him. If you can build him a coop and keep him (and the neighbor doesn't mind) he will appreciate it. Corn and bread should only be fed as treats. What he needs is a complete feed such as a flock raiser or a layer feed that you can purchase at a feed store. You should leave this out for him all day to eat from free choice (if you intend to keep feeding him).

3. CamilleGraubman

CamilleGraubman New Egg

Jul 3, 2016
    Do you think that he is hiding because of an incident with the dogs? Or could he be sad because he is no longer with his hen? Should I go get her?

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Well I wouldn't take the hen without the owner's permission, but yes, he would be much happier with company. However, if you do decide to build a coop and keep him and her, you will need more hens or he will hurt her with too much mating. 5 to 10 is what you need, the closer to 10 the better.

He is also probably afraid of the dogs. If you could build him a safe place he'd appreciate it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by