Foghorn Leghorn.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bakerjw, Jul 19, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Is there ever a person who has raised White Leghorns who hasn't invariably had someone come up with the cute reference to Foghorn Leghorn? Our Sebright roos have been crowing away for several weeks now but the Leghorn roos haven't quite gotten the urge to crow yet. Well that was until this weekend. One of them decided to start trying to crow and it really sounded like something that you'd hear on a tug boat. It was the most comical sound I've ever heard. Do all of the larger breeds of roos sound like this or do I have a foghorn for real?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    LOL! Some of mine have to practice a month or so to get it right. It is comical.

Some never do get it though- the one I rehomed yesterday has been crowing for several months and still sounded like he was strangling.

3. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    My SLW sounded like an antique car horn when he started about a month ago. Sad, pathetic and not rooster-like at all. Now he's crowing like a real roo...and crowing...and crowing.........

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    All the RIRs and Rocks I had started out those foghorn crows, but they all came around after practice, a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by