Follow a teen's journey in hatching buff eggs!!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by beneduck14, Dec 22, 2016.

1. beneduck14

beneduck14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    Welcome everyone to my first hatch-a-long! I will be hatching 25 [COLOR=FF8C00]Buff Orpingtons[/COLOR] for a project, if interested you can check out my thread you can find by going to my profile, and I want people to just to follow along with me and help me out with tips and advice. This is my 3rd time hatching but the most i've had were [COLOR=006400]6[/COLOR] eggs so this is a huge [COLOR=0000CD]leap of faith[/COLOR] for me and for some reason i'm scared that I won't be able to handle so many! You will follow me from day 0 to the end with candling pictures, thoughts, and questions. Anytime you are free to "unsubscribe" to this thread, don't worry I won't track you down. Just have fun with me as I incubate and name all 25 chicks! ___________________________________________________________ 12/21- Incubator pre heated and humidity set. 12/22- [​IMG] [​IMG] :bun [COLOR=FF8C00]Buff[/COLOR] eggs obtained from craigslist, had to drive over an hour since there were no other place in this cold season!!Eggs set in the room for about 30-40 minutes before marking an "[COLOR=800080]X[/COLOR]" and "[COLOR=800080]O[/COLOR]" on each side (for the sake of remembering which side to turn the egg to) and set down inside the incubator. Had a little trouble with high [COLOR=000080]humidity[/COLOR] to 70% and low [COLOR=FF0000]temp[/COLOR][COLOR=0000FF]eratures[/COLOR] but soon settled after an hour. My cat won't stop looking at the eggs with hungry eyes. 12/23 - Had some trouble with temperatures again this morning but I think it's doing well for now. Day 1 candling! Nothing to see except for a dark area where the chick's eyes and nervous systems are forming. [​IMG] 12/24 - Incubator temperatures and humidity all stabilized! Whew, stayed up all night adjusting to the perfect 99.5 F. Day 2 candling! A more organized and centered dark mass formed. The Heart and ears will be formed today! [​IMG] Day 3 candling!! Here is one egg that showed veining and the heart... but why don't the other show anything?? Someone please help I feel stressed. [​IMG] [​IMG] If you look closely you can see :) Warning, graphic images! . . . . . . . . . I won't be updating..this is a failed hatch for me. Only 7 egs remain alive. I eggtopsied 3 just now and here are some pictures. Egg #1. What the heck am I seeing [​IMG] Egg #2 perfectly healthy... Don't know why it died :( [​IMG] Egg #3 Stuck to shell even though I turn 3 times a day? His heart was outside of the body, does anyone know why? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Huh? how does Obama fit in?

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

3. beneduck14

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    Oh no oh no oh no. This is day 0 and I already screwed up. The temperature was alright this afternoon but I just checked and it was almost 106 F. Is this alright considering there were no significant development yet?!?

4. beneduck14

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA

Read the disclaimer on the top :). I honestly just did this to get people to look but I guess I should change it..

5. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2016
    I had quail eggs get to 106 two times in 5 days and half of the 42 i can see good veins in lots are to dark to see in. I also had 50 chicken eggs do this so many times i could not count and even drop to 86 for a day and i put 34 in lock down 2 days ago they should hatch tomorrow or Christmas Eve

6. beneduck14

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA

Oh no! Well I hope you have a good hatch, tell me how it goes and the results *fingerscrossed

7. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2016
    I candled last night and all but 7 out of 42 had veins at day 6

8. beneduck14

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA

That's a huge relief for me too. Guess I'll stop worrying and just wait to day 3 to see. Thanks for replying!

9. beneduck14

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    Does anyone know why some eggs develop faster then others? Just candled and I only see two eggs with mini veins and others don't

10. kyleigh

kyleigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Just set my eggs today! Would love to follow how yours do. I had an incident with my last hatch, only one out of 36 eggs hatched, and it was of course a rooster lol. I hope everything goes well with your hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by