Follow along as I attempt to raise Cornish X as laying hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thecreekhouse, Mar 1, 2015.

1. thecreekhouse

thecreekhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    East Tennessee
    I admit it; from the first time I laid eyes on those adorably fluffy yellow baby chicks in the TSC Chock Days bins, I wanted one of them. But then the lady working in the section of the store explained to me that these extra chubby yellow cities were Cornish Rocks - bred for one thing only, which is to grow to the age of 6-8 weeks before being butchered for the freezer. Well, since I raise my hens as garden pets and egg producers, a meat bird wasn't really what I needed. But I couldn't get these adorable Cornish Rock chicks out of my head, so over the last six months I've done all the reading I can on the breed and I decided to try to raise one or two as pets/layers. My plan is to feed them a lower cal diet and also make sure they get plenty of foraging time with my other hens. Plus I'll make sure there's plenty of shade for them in the hot weather.

So this week I took the plunge and brought home three straight run Cornish X chicks from TSC. At 4 or 5 days old theiy're already the same size as my 10 day old Barred Rock pullet. Hopefully I'll get at least one pullet of the three and the roo(s) will go to a friend's farm where they do butcher their own.

So my goal is to find out whether I can grow a healthy, longer lived Cornish Cross hen as a pet and layer, and for those who are interested, I will be chronicling my adventures in Cornish X-raising over on my blog: http://backyardfarmer101.com/cornishrocks/

We'll see how it goes. For now the three Cornish Rocks are just as active as the other chicks I'm raising right now, and I notice no food hoarding or anything like that. Plus they really are just the cutest, fat little yellow baby chicks I've about ever seen. [​IMG]

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    congrats!! I raise my CX free range and grow them slowly. This year i will also be raising a group to breeding age as an experiment.
    Hope it goes well for you! They are actually some of my favorite chickens...very funny personalities, though the they had a tendency to be mean chickens. They were always the first i greet me in the morning, and followed me around wherever i went. Big birds too, easily twice the size of my layers.
    a little tip: When raising them make sure they can get plenty of exercise, and don't free feed. I found it worked well to free range them during the day and feed them at night. free feeding them just makes them hang out by the feeder and doesn't encourage them to find their own food. I also would throw the some of the food on the ground to make them work for it.
    Well good luck!! I'll be looking forward to following your progress!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by