1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Follow Along - My NYD Hatch Gender Guesses!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lpyrbby, Jan 16, 2017.

1. lpyrbby

lpyrbby Chillin' With My Peeps

They're 2 weeks old at the start of this thread and it's still WAY early to be able to sex the chicks, but for fun and games, why not try?

Chick 1 - Black Ameracauna - possibly mottled.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 2 - Blue Mottled Ameracauna

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 3 - Backyard mix - was possible NN but come out with a feathered neck (I think this one is a boy)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 4 - Black Ameracauna (possibly mottled)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 5 - Speckled Sussex/Easter Egger - I think this one is a girl.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 6 - Speckled Sussex/Dark Cornish - Thinking this one is a girl, but...well...yanno.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 7 - Blue Ameracauna - hoping for a girl on this one for sure.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 8 - Speckled Sussex/Red Sex Link - thinking girl right now.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 9 - French Black Copper Marans - Probably a boy. (Would LOVE to be wrong!)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 10 - Black Mottled Ameracauna - Thinking boy.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 11 - Speckled Sussex/Australorp - Probably a boy, or a really assertive girl.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 12 - Speckled Sussex/Red Sex Link - Boy. If this kid ISN'T a boy, I'll be REALLY surprised.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 13 - Speckled Sussex/Barred Rock - Girl (This cross creates a black sex link, so yay I have at least one girl! She's a fiesty little buggar like her momma, for sure)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

So the aim of this game is to guess the gender of everyone and hope you get more pullets than cockerels? Am i right? Lol.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  3. mustangrooster

Im terrible at guessing when they are 2 weeks old [​IMG] Update at 5 or 6 weeks and i will tell for sure! But thats cheating...

Soo.....maybe you have just one boy? Cant wait to see!

4. lpyrbby

It's totally just for fun! I know that it's not likely to be any sort of accurate at this age, but I figured that a good game of boy/girl can't hurt. Maybe I also don't want to suffer alone :)

5. mustangrooster

You will not suffer alone.....[​IMG] However im 99% sure chick 3 is a boy lol.

6. lpyrbby

You're probably right ;) I think I'm seeing some pinking of the comb, but it's still early yet.

Also, the ones you've noted the tiny combs on, they have pea combs, so they're going to be pretty insignificant for a while [​IMG]

Chick 11 and 13 are buddies. Those two come and roost on my hand/arm if I stick it in the brooder with them. I'm also really stoked about chick 11's colors right now so she needs to be a SHE!

7. lpyrbby

So, I suck and didn't take week 3 pics, but #3 and #12 have pinked combs sooooooooooo....we continue to wait.

8. lpyrbby

Surprise! Life gets in the way!

I've conceded to not being able to get fancy pics of the chicks going forward. Week 4 pics were kinda meh, but I did get quite a few pics of them today, at week 5. I'll try to make them make sense LOL

The chick up front and the red one behind him are two that I'm confident are boys.
    [​IMG]

The one in the front is one of the mottled Ameraucana
    [​IMG]

The one in front is the SS/Dark Cornish cross
    [​IMG]

The front 4, left to right - SS/RSL cross, mottled Ameraucana, SS/EE cross, SS/Dark Cornish cross
    [​IMG]

Another Ameraucana from the mottled pen
    [​IMG]

Same as above
    [​IMG]

SS/Dark Cornish cross
    [​IMG]

The one in the back is slaying me. That's supposed to be my SS/Barred Rock cross, which makes a black sex link. But her comb is pink and her legs are THICK. The other black chick in front is Boop, the SS/Australorp cross.
    [​IMG]

Boop, SS/Australorp
    [​IMG]

Meow, SS/Barred Rock - maybe I got it wrong? Or is it possible she's just psyching me out?
    [​IMG]

Another of Meow.
    [​IMG]

Ameraucana from the mottled project
    [​IMG]

Mottled Ameraucana
    [​IMG]

A different mottled Ameraucana chick
    [​IMG]

My lone Marans. I'm really thinking I got lucky and she's a she!
    [​IMG]

SS/RSL up front, Ameraucana in the back
    [​IMG]

Ameraucana in the back, SS/RSL boy in the front
    [​IMG]

I think this is another shot of my Marans
    [​IMG]

It's crazy to see how they've grown in 5 weeks!

9. mustangrooster

Its been very fun guessing, i cant be accurate without good comb shots, but hey the aim of the game is fun! Does look like you have a couple cockerels...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  10. lpyrbby

I know I have at least 2 boys but the rest are still up in the air. It also doesn't really help to have them all in a crowd as opposed to how I was able to do the individual photos the first 3 weeks. They are WAY more interested in being chickens than they are models [​IMG] I'm sure the next couple of weeks will bring out some more features to help make better guesses.

I'm still trying to sort out the sex link thing. A non-barred rooster (my speckled sussex) over a barred hen (my barred rock) genetically create a sex linked chick, with the boys having a white spot on their head. Meow and Boop are my only two chicks that came out black, and looking at chick pics of sex links vs Australorp, that's what made me determine Meow was from my barred rock and a female. It's not common, but I have seen photos and end results of chicks that looked male (getting red early, thicker legs) that DID wind up being female.

Meow is going to be a big wait and see. She's gonna be a feisty girl if she's a she, as she should be. Although, the alternative is that Boop is actually the sex link, and in that case, YAY! I love Boop so much...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by