1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Follow along to see how Smudge grows up

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kharmon320, May 29, 2016.

1. kharmon320

kharmon320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    South Carolina
    I love this thread and thought I would add my EE's to the mix. My babies are 4 weeks old today, but I truly think I will wind up with 5 out of 7 cockerels. Not very good odds. I am questioning this one's color/pattern. The wings are very uniform and the chest is coming in a very light cream color with a light cream/pale brown flecks further down the chest. I was shocked when I realized the chest was so light. I will post baby, 2 week, 19 days, and 4 weeks. As he/she develops, I'll add to the post.

Smudge as a baby: (in the middle) has always been a washed out brown color with willow-y legs.
    [​IMG]

Smudge at 2 weeks:

[​IMG]

Smidge at 19 days:

[​IMG]

Smudge 4 weeks (current):

[​IMG]

Is this pattern typical of pullets? The comb is pinker than I like, but it's only one row of peas.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    First off I think smudge is adorable! As for gender, EEs are mixes so there isn't really a standard for the coloring of females vs. males but pullets tend to have a more consistent pattern compared to males (but then again they are mixes so you never know!).

3. kharmon320

Sep 6, 2015
    South Carolina
    Thanks for looking! I actually meant to post this in the EE thread which shows them as they develop. I'm a dork and hit "new thread" instead of post a reply. Please forgive me for the duplication.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    No your fine :) You can start your thread and update as they grow if you wish (as well as post in the EE thread).

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  5. kharmon320

Sep 6, 2015
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

Here's a 5 week collage. If the comb weren't pink, I would really think this is a pullet. Can't wait to see how he/she develops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by