Follow Along with me In Guessing My Silkies Sex....Updated NEW PICS!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Teresaann24, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Jan,

So silkies are so hard to sex i have been fooled by the best of those mean little silkies.

So this is what I am doing I have had my little buff silkie chicks since they was about 3 days old.

I ordered them from Ideal They are 3 weeks old now and I love watching them. So far in my little 3 I think I have 2 boys (One if iffy) and 1 girl.

One I call hoss looks and acts so ROOISH he puts the other 2 in there place. He is the biggest in size and loves to challenge my hand I push him back he comes pushing right back.

The 2nd one I call boss he seems rooish too but not as much as Hoss does he is just boss everyone does what he does he starts everything if he drinks they drink if he pecks on the broody sides so does the rest. He's a leader for sure giving me the roo vide for sure.

Now little sick tini, tini I think has a Respatory (I know I didnt spell that right) problem she just breaths a little harder then the other guys has been I have her on antibotics no sneezing or coughing just seems to breath a little hard eats and drinks fine and is as entergetic as them all. Anyways I think Tini is a girl she is very slinder and just seems girlish to me she is stand offish and sweet and innocent. She is NOTHING like boss and hoss.

So I wanted to start and experiment On watching the attitude of your chicks size comparising if you could come to a conclusion of gender when silkies are a younger age like 3 weeks old.

So I am going to keep this thread updated with lots of tales of Boss hoss and tini as they grow and mature. To see if this works and I am right about there genders by there attitudes and size.

I will Update this every Month

Here are some pics of my little ones. Their quality is only PET quality but they are my little babies for sure. Love them to death!!! Sorry they are going through there UGLIES real bad and there little poofs are wet from playing in their water...lol

Hoss

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boss

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tini

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Chicks are 5 weeks old now...Took some new pictures of them tonight and am going to guess again on gender due to size, Temperment and looks.

Hoss my big boy he is twice the size of the other 2 chicks and already has quite a comb growing and has some color coming in and its very dumpy not flat at all. I think Hoss is 100% roo what does everyone eles think?

Here is Hoss...(Don't mind my brothers hands in these pictures these guys wont sit still so he held them for me while I took pictures)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boss...I am clueless on Boss he/she is hard..Boss is smaller the the other 2 chicks but seems to be the leader. As they have grown though Boss is Less of a Boss and Hoss is the leader. Has a very flat comb not wide but long not bumpy and no color. What does everyone eles think?

Here is Boss...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last but not least my fav out of them all is Tini...She was the smallest chick but now is the meduim size of the 3. Tini is stand offish and shy she hides behind boss and hoss. I think Tini is a girl. She has a flat comb not wide and no color. What does everyone eles think of Tini?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My silkies were 5 months old when the sexes finally began to show. Most silkies cannot be sexed that early other than guessing. That being said, the second to the last pic looks like a girl to me. But it really is very young to tell with any certainty.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Oh believe me I know how hard it is to sex silkies. I am just updating as I go and guessing each month as they age by temperment and size and combs in help guessing the sexes. Up till the time they grow/Lay...I thought maybe when it was all over this could be a reference page for other silkie people to come back and look over that could help them sex their silkies at a younger age!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by