Follow up on injured comb

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hello everyone,
Today is one week since our girls comb was almost entirely ripped off. Heres what i did, and heres where we are one week later. 6 GLW’s, 17wks old, not laying yet. BTW, huge shout out to ALL g z add the people that went out of their way to help me. Dobielover stands out here. His checking in with me gave me piece of mind and the confidence that I needed. He deserves an honor.
Day 1-3: i immediately brought her inside and set up an indoor ICU. My kitchen would become her quarantine area for the next 8 hrs where i sat and observed her behavior and applied pressure to the comb to stop the bleeding. (Combs bleed a lot I was informed). The applied pressure worked and the bleeding stopped within the hour. I was also told here at BYC that flour or corn starch can also help with stopping the bleeding. Once i knew she was stable, I naturally worried about infection and the pros at BYC agreed Vetericyn is what i should use to wash it to prevent infection. I like the vetericyn because it is not harmful if ingested or a little gets into the eyes. So, i wrapped her in a towel, and soaked a cotton ball with the vetericyn squeezing it to drip onto her wound. I then applied some antibiotic ointment. Neosporin with a Q-tip. She had a lot of blood in her nostrils, so i used a cotton swab to absorb what i could careful not to stick it up her nostrils. Her breathing was like she had a stuffy nose. This problem soon went away after our cleanse with the vetericyn. We continued the vetericyn 3 times a day with the ointment afterwards. These first three days, upon reflection went quit well. A mirror would become her best friend moving forward. While still in the kitchen, she sat on a pad fixed in front of a mirror. She was always eating and drinking well so that was a good thing. Once she was treated, eating, and safe with her indoor home we just patiently waited to see what would happen with that comb. Talk of cutting the bad part off gave me the shivers.
DAY 4-7: Chickens comb has dried out a bit since I stopped doing the vetericyn treatments 3 times a day. Instead just once a day, and on day 5, not at all. Day 6 once in the evening after being outside. My thinking was, I wanted it to start to scab seeing the threat of infection was no longer my biggest concern. I am a firm believer that in order to heal, we cannot be under a lot of stress. This is where my obsessive nature took over. I was at her ‘peck’ and call for days 4 and 5. See, she hated being alone and when I left the room she would stand and holler. I’d come back and she would lay contented. So, free range of the house she soon had. I must say, she has been a very polite house guest. (Besides following her with a paper towel and washcloth to pick up poop. She never jumps on anything, and has preferred sitting in my office in front of a cabinet with a nice clear mirror while i work on my computer. She quickly learned the kitchen was the place for snacks which would include some hard boiled egg (mainly yolk) or an occasional blackberry i foraged during the summer and froze. She comes in and tells me whats what. Fair enough chicken, your doin’ great I thought. Since the threat of infection was no longer my biggest concern, my focus then went to reintegrating her with the flock. We had a hurricane warning days 4 and 5 so going outside was not an option. Heavy rain and winds kept us all hunkered down indoors.
Day 6: Reintegration: i did a lot of thinking and research and decided I would let the 5 other girls out of run first thing in morning like I always do, and then, open the back door to let patient chicken outside the house. They all seemed normal, doing what chickens do, pecking and exploring the yard. Injured chicken was approached, but noone was really going after the wound, instead, they were letting her know shes at the bottom of the pecking order now. A quick peck here and there even from the chickens low in order. This is ok tho because nothing serious has occurred. During day 6 when we went out, i became part of the flock following them and keeping a close eye on patient chicken. If anyone got close will ill intentions, i would intervene and that worked well. After hanging outside for over an hour, i brought her back inside. I felt like a weight had been lifted. For the first time in 5 days I felt really hopeful that she’d be back in harmony with the flock. Evening on day 6 we did the same and the same results. I never let them out of my sight, and in fact, pull up a chair to sit wherever they are. Pushing away any chicken that creeps with ill intentions. One of my meanies got real close to her face and they both stayed close, frozen, eye to eye. I sat there and said, meanies intentions dont seem to be ill, so, just wait…..meanie gently pecked her beak and there was no fight! Again, a huge deal in this reintegration process. A little back story, patient chicken was not at the bottom of the pecking order. My belief is she tore the comb on the hardware cloth stapled to the pressure treated wood that serves as the frame of the run. I since put rocks around the edges where they dig deep against the hardware cloth. The evening of day 6 I treated her with the vetericyn. My thinking was, shes been outside a lot today, and she even felt well enough to dust bathe. The comb seems to be unattached for the most part, but seems to still have blood circulation because of the color. (I will attach pics). This is a whole different situation, what will become of the comb.
Day 7: today is day 7 and just like yesterday, I let the other 5 out of run at 7am, and let patient Chicken outside the back door. She ran to them and together, we all did our morning rounds without issue. The normal peck or bite would be expected, so, again, i stayed super close. Being able to free range is whats making this reintegration possible. Everyone has enough room to keep occupied and patient chicken can run away if not comfortable. Which she will do but without trauma or stress. Just normal pecking order stuff. We all went into the coop with patient chicken for the first time in 6 days. I added another feeder and waterer to prevent that drama, but, of course they ALL want to use the new stuff. One chicken named rose (my only single comb gal), is real possessive with the feeder and water, so, noone gets near her and this behavior was evident but nothing more extreme with patient chicken. I am not comfortable with patient chicken being locked in the run with the others just yet. As big as it is, it still seems the girls get possessive with their space. In fact, right now as I type, I’m sitting outside with them all under their favorite trees in the brushline. I’m not quit comfortable leaving her alone with them, so, when i have to get back to my life, i carry her in with me. I am tempted to leave them all outside here, unattended for a bit and come back to check in.
In the pics, you’ll notice her big ol’ wrinkle on her comb. Thats the point of the tear. The 4th pic is meanie chicken and her gettin’ close…
If you are still reading up to now, i sincerely thank you, and would really appreciate your feedback, opinions, and expertise on anything you think could help me regain my HHH staus. (Happy Healthy Hens) 🐓❤️

Attachments

• 67CBAB62-EEEF-4B0E-9215-B498EC3E3A69.jpeg
    67CBAB62-EEEF-4B0E-9215-B498EC3E3A69.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • ED9DFBE7-98C8-4A69-BD70-2C6E8B8F2860.jpeg
    ED9DFBE7-98C8-4A69-BD70-2C6E8B8F2860.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 15
  • E4B7ED48-360B-44C7-B069-51B0329E5B65.jpeg
    E4B7ED48-360B-44C7-B069-51B0329E5B65.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 8D7EF321-53B8-4960-83F4-460D59E85DB3.jpeg
    8D7EF321-53B8-4960-83F4-460D59E85DB3.jpeg