Follow up post: How to administer dewormer

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DeeAnn5, Apr 4, 2018.

1. DeeAnn5

DeeAnn5 Songster

Sep 2, 2013
    NW Missouri
    OK The Vet did my fecals (I mean, of my chickens ;)) and only 1 roundworm egg was found (I posted a picture of the worm in my last post) ...he said multiple fecals are usually better to determine parasite load... I can get the meds from him or buy over the counter...
    Thanks to lots of nice people sharing good information on my last post, I've decided to use this product: Safe Guard for goats.
    My vet said he would help with my dosing, but my question is: Am I going to have to catch all my chickens to dose them, if so how many times. I have 5 hens. I just want something to add to the water or food...

2. DeeAnn5

DeeAnn5 Songster

Sep 2, 2013
    NW Missouri
    He said I could just buy Levamisole and add it to the water ...If you have used this could you post info? Thanks!!!

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Levamisole is not approved for chickens, so use the fenbendazole! The actual approved product is a water soluble formulation, Aquasole. Panacur will work fine, and it's best to treat each bird individually, for three days (five days?) in a row. If you have many birds, it can be added to a measured amount of drinking water instead.
    Sorry, I don't have the dosages, but they are available.
    Mary

DeeAnn5 likes this.
  4. DeeAnn5

DeeAnn5 Songster

Sep 2, 2013
    NW Missouri
    Thanks for your response as this is my first trip to the chicken worm rodeo. :he
    The Aquasole costs $250. I only have 5 chickens... if I was going to spend that much I would just get a prescription from the vet...

5. DeeAnn5

DeeAnn5 Songster

Sep 2, 2013
    NW Missouri
    OK this has been a difficult decision!! However I did order the Fenbendezole for goats, also looking in to purchasing or borrowing from the library, the book "The Chicken Health Handbook" by Damerow...heard it was pretty good... Also the Alert was helpful, so thank you to whomever posted that link for me.

6. DeeAnn5

DeeAnn5 Songster

Sep 2, 2013
    NW Missouri
  7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    With only five birds, individual dosing is the way to go! Do it at night when they are roosting. With a small flashlight or headlamp, each bird off the roost, squirt into mouth, return to roost, and repeat. Easy!
    The Aquasol is too expensive, I agree. Panacur is cheap though, as is the OTC goat wormer.
    Mary

DeeAnn5 likes this.
  8. happyfrenchman

happyfrenchman Crowing

Dec 20, 2008
    Central Ga.
    Wazine is administered by water bucket.... It kills roundworms. I just mix it up per directions and hang it the coop. Turn off the regular water and let them drink for a day then go back to the regular water. It is very easy and can be done routinely without having to touch a chicken. And it is cheap. It is cheap and effective. No vet required.

DeeAnn5 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: