Following in my grandmother's footsteps

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CamillleMueller, Mar 21, 2015.

1. CamillleMueller

CamillleMueller New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Hello, I am new to the forum and to raising chickens. I grew up on a farm and my grandmother always had chickens. I got in serious trouble once for chasing her chickens with my go-cart. I now understand why she was so mad.

I have 14 babies. 1 rooster and 13 hens - EASTER eggers in a variety of colors. Last week they moved from their brooder to their big chicken house. A 13 x 11 horse stall that has been screened in with hardware cloth. Now I want them outside eating grass and bugs but can't decide the best way. Their protector is also their predator - my fat dog. She keeps raccoons and such from around the coop but would eat a chicken in a heartbeat. Also I have 2 cats and another dog - I believe those 3 would eat them as well.

My pastures are fenced and cross fenced. I could easily keep the dogs from the chicken side of the fence but I worry about the chickens going to the dogs side. Plus the cats could go into the chicken area. The chicken's side has lots of trees so they could be protected from overhead predators.

It seems like for 14 chickens, I would need a HUGE tractor. I am considering a portable electric fence, any suggestions? I want to move it around my 5 acres so they can mow. Plus I would like to increase my flock.

2. CamillleMueller

CamillleMueller New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    I forgot to mention that the fences have an electric fence line across the top of the fence for horses but I don't think it would do any good for keeping chickens in and predators out.

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Welcome! Glad that you've decided to continue your Gramma's chicken raising.

Many folks on here have used a type of electric mesh fencing to keep their chickens safe while they are out foraging, and it's working very well for them. Trees, however, won't usually protect your birds from overhead predators. Instead they give the predators a place to hide, and a place to launch their attacks from, so don't count too much on them for anything but shade.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I have never used electric fencing. And as Blooie has suggested, it won't keep the aerial attackers at bay. But if you don't have hawk issues in your area, an electric fence might work for you.

Enjoy this new journey you are on! Chickens are so much fun to raise and I hope yours always brings you great joy.

Welcome to our flock!

6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG] Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    Glad you decided to join. There is tons of information on here, so I'm sure you'll find answers to all your questions. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use Kencove electric poultry fencing, and love it. I find it much easier to set up and move than my chicken tractors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy your flock!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How lovely you now have a flock of your own. I too have never used electric fence but if I had more land to move my chickens around on I would certainly give it a whirl. Drop by the coop/run section of the forum I'm sure there will be other members there who have experience of it. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-amp-run-design-construction-amp-maintenance

Wishing you the very best of luck at getting your babies out on to some grass. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. CamillleMueller

CamillleMueller New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Thanks everyone! I did wildlife rescue for a number of years and had my heart stolen by a grackle and a duck! Now the chickens have my heart, I worry about them like a mother hen! Haha! My brother built a chicken tractor last week for his babies - hoping to get him to help me build one. I have a stack of pvc pipe and leftover hardware cloth so I guess that's my route.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by