Food advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by VOX, Feb 1, 2011.

1. VOX

VOX Chillin' With My Peeps

Well for short, I mixed some chicken scratch with cracked corn and seeds with my ducks food because they where running out of thier big bag of food. I want to add a little bit more weight to my ducks. Healthy weight, not fatten them where they cant walk. But you know just a little bit to them heath wise. I was going to mix 24% protien food( 24% is too much but its only a little bitty bag and mixing it with the big bag should even it all out i think) the expensive kind, i need to use this little bag of food but i dont wanna mix a bunch of differant kinds of food together. Mixing food would be ok for them right? Any other way of adding weight to them?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. VOX

VOX Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Cracked Corn usually fattens them up pretty well [​IMG]

4. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I only use cracked corn with my ducks. As long as they get to run around in the warmer weather it will keep them a nice healthy weight. If you leave them in a cage or small pen all the time though then corn WILL make them fat. But I find corn in general is a nice feed to use for ducks.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Dry dog/cat food is a good protein source for adding a bit of weight. I use it as a treat sometimes and supplement my broody girls diet with it because they tend to lose weight from not forraging as much as normal.

ETA: one of my hens would come up on the porch and steal the dogs food. When i kept it in the house during summer, if the door was left open you could bet money on her going in and eating it, lol.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by