Food aggressive cockerel or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flock Master64, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hello!

I have a 3-4 month old free range Chocolate Cuckoo cockerel named Flint. A few weeks ago I merged him with my flock of 4 hens wich consists of 3 Amber links and 1 white leghorn. They all get along very well except during feeding time. My Chocolate Cuckoo likes to hog the feeder and chase away the hens when they come too close. I do not hand feed them, but on the occasion I rip up some bread, beagles, or muffins and toss it out to them, I'm not sure if that counts as hand feeding or not. Chocolate Cuckoo's are a big breed, when full grown they weigh about 14-15 pounds and right now Flint is twice the side of my hens so maybe he thinks he can control the feeder since he is bigger? I really really don't want to get rid of him any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. BunnynChicks

BunnynChicks Duck Lover

May 18, 2016
    I don't know if this would work or not but you could try having two or more feeders set up in different places so that if he does chase them away from the feeder they could go somewhere else. He is a very handsome bird and I see why you don't want to get rid of him.

1 person likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I agree; add another feeder. Do you have adult hens, or pullets? My hens manage the cockerels very well, and the pullets can be pushed around by the boys. Adult cocks should be nice to the hens and pullets, but the youngsters need to develop social skills.

2 people like this.
  4. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Ok thank you, I do have two feeders out, and he is in with 4 hens and 2 pullets

5. Tim Tim

Tim Tim Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016

6. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    If there is plenty of feed in the feeders, the others will wait until he is done, and eat when he leaves the feeder. Mine do that all the time. All the bosses eat first, and the others wait.

1 person likes this.
  7. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Thank you all very much, it is greatly appreciated

8. Tim Tim

Tim Tim Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's just a baby. Right now he's a greedy little boy, he doesn't see the point in having any manners and letting the ladies go first.

As he matures, I'm thinking he'll get some incentive to be nicer to the ladies. I am surprised your older ladies don't keep him in line more, but that's not really something you can control. As long as he's just chasing them, I'd let it be.

It's not so much about size, it's about attitude.

1 person likes this.
  10. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Even a rooster who fights for his share is stillq good one.Their animals.Hens fight hens for food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by