1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Food allergies

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cindiloohoo, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    My kids are MSG intolerant. I try to cook everything from scratch so they have food that doesn't make them sick or swell up. Anybody else? I noticed on here a lot of you post recipes, looking over those got me to wondering if anyone else has allergies like my kids. I'm also, interested in egg allergies. My pastors little girl is allergic to....yes...chicken eggs, I KNOW it's HORRIBLE!! She's also allergic to corn, and dairy, so the kid is starving!! Not literally...but..KWIM? I have heard quail eggs are more hypoallergenic, and I'm breeding some coturnix for her future egg supply if she can tolerate them. Anyone else know a way around an egg allergy? Just curious. All the smart people on here should be able to come up with some alternatives, right? Well...if ya got anything...please share! Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    On Eggs, chicken, duck and quail eggs have different protiens, so she may just need a different sort of egg.

I've developed a cow milk allergy the last year, complete with hospital visits, goat milk doesn't seem to make me ill, but to buy it at the market is $8/quart. We're in the city for 2 years so can't get a goat for sometime.

3. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Welcome to my world, my DD is allergic to gluten, cow dairy, corn, egg (chicken) and any pig product. Goat cheese seems to be ok and I haven't tried other eggs yet although I want to. I too bake and cook everything from scratch, heck I grind my own flour because buying a flour mill and the grains (rice, quinoa, etc) was cheaper than buying the flours.

Heads up on corn: Powdered sugar and baking powder are usually made with corn starch.

Eggs work in two ways in a recipe, as a binding agent and a leavening agent. Going egg free is pretty easy especially if there is still gluten present...and its doable even without gluten as my family and friends can attest. Obviously egg free won't work in a quiche or angel food cake but in a recipe only calling for one or two eggs its pretty easy to find subs. Sometimes a little extra baking powder or soda for leavening or some fruit puree for binding and moisture, some people use a ground flax seed replacement.

I'll stop rambling now [​IMG] Just wanted you to know you weren't alone in the food allergy boat

4. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Aspertame. Most gum (at least here in Canada) has aspertame - even if it isn't sugarless! I have to check all labels of stuff I consume to make sure they haven't slipped any in. When I was in the UK I discovered the hard way that juice with no added sugar contains aspertame.

5. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Well...... I have allergies to tomatoes and peppers (more specifically solanine). I live in TX. EVERYTHING has some sort of pepper or tomato product in it...... And they dust everything with cayenne, paprika or chilli powder. I don't eat out. I read all labels because paprika is used in dang near everything now.

Nothing to add, just commiserating.

6. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Many people who are allergic to chicken eggs are able to eat duck eggs.

7. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:8 bucks a quart?!?!?! I need to be milking my goats!!! That's crazy!

Thanks everyone for posting, good to know I'm not alone. saddina I think you are correct about the protein, that's why the quail eggs will be better for her. If it isn't the protein she is reacting to, then she will react to quail eggs too. Hopefully, that is it!!

8. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    equine-one of my best friends has Celiac, as do her 3 children, so I KNOW what you mean!

Crusty McPottydoodle-aspartame is reactive very similar to MSG, my DD has to stay away from BOTH due to that fact. It's a specific protein intolerance.

KDbeads- OMG I am so sorry for you!! I couldnt live without peppers and tomatoes, and surely couldn't do it in TX!!!

froggie71-THANK YOU for that added info! maybe if quail eggs don't work duck eggs will. I did not know that, thanks SO much for sharing!

LOL! I guess I missed that being insenuated in saddinas post [​IMG] gotta spell it out for me sometimes, I can be slow on the uptake [​IMG]

ETA: equine, and all others FEEL FREE TO RAMBLE!!!! I am trying to help these kids have more options, and could use all the info I can get. I have been putting together a "safe diet" for years for my 2 girls, and now have a new kid I am trying to help. Her parents are going crazy with all the issues due to her allergies(she's 2) and they are both professionals, loads of time away from home, 3 wild girls under 10 (AKA no time) so I am trying to help them get through. It took me 5 years of research trial and error to even figure what my kids were reacting to, doctors didn't have a clue. They are going through the same, and I HATE to see a kid suffer! Having been there I am more knowledgeable of the usual suspects, but never SO MANY at once, so please....ANY info is welcomed!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I can't have MSG either.
    I also have adult-onset shellfish allergy. For that- I found that if I take 1/2 a dose of benedryl before/during a seafood dinner I don't have a reaction [​IMG]
    (If I take a whole dose I fall asleep [​IMG] )

I don't know if I'm allergic to aspertame- but I can't stand it! Diet anything tastes like I'm eating baby powder. [​IMG]

10. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Ask your doctor about hydroxyzine, my DD uses it as a preventative, it works faster and better than Benadryl for her. If you don't know, the capsules that benadryl is in...has MSG in the capsule. DD can't take meds in a capsule at all for that reason, they're processed. IF she uses benadryl, it's the liquid that we use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by