Food Alternative...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ginjaninja86, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ginjaninja86

ginjaninja86 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Hi Guys,

This morning I used the last of my layers mash, and I didn't have time to go to the farm to buy some more.

I will be buying some after work tomorrow but I don't get home until around 5pm. Is there anything I can give them in the morning to keep them going?

Thank you [​IMG]

2. Demosthine

Demosthine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Since it's only a one-time deal (or maybe two if you feed them in the morning, too), you can give them some oatmeal, any kind of oats, millet, or even some wild bird seed that may be laying around your house. Then, of course, there's scrambled or hard-boiled eggs, fruit and vegetable scraps. Virtually anything will work to get you by.

For long-term feeding, you want to make sure they have a good, balanced diet, but a short-term situation like this, virtually anything goes.

1 person likes this.
  3. ginjaninja86

Feb 14, 2013
    That's great, thank you.

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but I've been doing it for 2 years since I rescued them... they have mixed corn in a feeder all the time, then I feed them layers in the morning. Am I feeding them too much?

So I could give them some porridge?

4. Demosthine

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    You can't really feed them too much. They'll regulate their eating, unlike most dogs or cats. Remember, they are scavengers that eat virtually anything and everything they find while foraging in the fields or forests, depending on the environment. Bugs, weeds, grass, it's all food to them. They tend to stay away from the plants that are poisonous to them, too. It has a distinctive taste that is not appealing to them.

In terms of the corn, you can feed that too much. If you feed too much corn, it causes them to store large amounts of fat around their vent area and can cause severe problems with laying eggs. In the photo below, you can see the large layers of fat surrounding the vent. Do note that this girl had several other problems that led to BeeKissed culling her. You can read about it on this thread. From what I've read so far, it seems to be a very small portion of their overall diet and used more for scratch during the winter to keep them warm at night.

[​IMG]

5. ginjaninja86

Feb 14, 2013
    So should it be the other way round, as in, mash/pellets all day for them to peck at and corn once daily?

6. Demosthine

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Correct. You should also look at fermenting their feed. It will not only reduce their food intake, but is also healthier and more nutritious for them. Google it and you'll get some excellent information.

The recommendation is no more than a handful of corn or scratch per day per hen. I would err on the side of caution, though, and use less.

7. ginjaninja86

Feb 14, 2013
    Thank you so much for you help and advice!
    So my next questions are...

Should I leave the mash dry of mix with water? I've always mixed with water, (warm water in the winter), and never even considered leaving it dry.

Is mash or pellets better?

8. Demosthine

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Check out the info on fermented feed. It'll answer that plus more.

9. kitchenchick

kitchenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Upper East Tennessee
    We've started using fermented feed with ours and they absolutely love it! I've noticed less poop, and alot less waste. I don't think I'll go back to the old way I use to feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by