Food and Poop question/

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Feb 7, 2014.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    ~~I have noticed that my Blue red laced wynodottes poop has some whole feed pieces in it. Its chickens scratch. Does that mean theres a problem with her crop?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Are you giving them grit? The grit goes to the gizzard and grinds up the food. The crop is just a storage place.

3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    They free range.

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Free range are the ones that need the grit. Grit is crushed up stone. Give them some grit and the scratch will be ground up and used by the body instead of coming out whole in the poop.

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    I don't understand. There is little tiny gravel in my yard. If there is grit in the yard why would they need more? I have never had this problem before.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How small is the gravel? Stop the scratch for a couple of days,see if the problem corrects itself. Any other undigested food,or just the scratch?

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've never given free range birds grit unless it was a long, hard winter with deep snows and they were eating dry feeds with whole grains mixed in. Sounds like grit is not your issue if they have access to fine stone and soil. The crop is just a storage area and has nothing to do with what comes out the other end. What grains, in particular, are you seeing in the stool?

8. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    I was cleaning the coop today and noticed her poop it had a lot of the scratch in it.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

One type of grain or all of them? Are your other birds doing the same thing?

10. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    here is a pic of her poop and no she is the only one that I know of [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by