Food and water at bedtime?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BenAnnaMama, May 29, 2011.

1. BenAnnaMama

BenAnnaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    My chicks are about to spend their first night in their coop! Do they need access to food and water in the coop or do they sleep through the night without it like us humans?!

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi BenAnnaMama,

My understanding is that it isn't needed if they are out during light hours and only in overnight. From what I hear they do not eat at night... as you said like humans.

3. BenAnnaMama

BenAnnaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Thanks! Yes, they are out ALL day long and put themselves to bed around 8:30 pm in the XL dog kennel that they have been using while they and I wait patiently for the coop to be completed! I am just concerned that adding food and water to the coop during these warm days just makes an unnecessary mess to clean later... Maybe I'm wrong? I'll see if other people have opinions about it too! Thanks for yours!

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    they won,t eat or drink at nite but unless you plan on being there at first light they will be hungry and will be looking for food and water, so if you can you might want to have food and water available. If this is their first nite in the coop and you want them to get used to this being their new home most people will leave them in the coop for a few days till they get used to this is where we are safe and get food and water so you will want to have food and water available all the time.

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by