1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

food and water availability

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Oscgrr, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Oscgrr

Oscgrr Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Cape Cod
    My chickens are confined to their coop only at night. I go outside just after the sun sets and they're all in the coop and on the roost. I let them out into the run first thing in the morning and give them fresh water and some BOSS. I put the food in the coop at night. I figure this is the best way to keep wild animals from helping themselves. I also have a water dish in the coop, it's a red saucer with a screw on plastic "bottle" in the center. They have a large black rubber waterdish in the run. This winter, Cape Cod, it's certainly going to get below freezing. Do I need to keep a water supply in the coop if they have access to water all day in the run? The water in the run will likely freeze but I can just knock it out of the dish and fill it with fresh, I'm home all day. I imagine they can go the entire night without access to water but this is my first flock and I could be wrong. I don't want to have water in the coop mostly because the coop is kinda smallish and not something I can walk into. You can see it on my BYC page (I'm still trying to figure how to set the page up so it's kinda messy).

Thanks for any advice.

2. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    My chickens have access to food and water all day. I pull the water at night. They were just making a mess with it. They will need to have access to fresh drinking water all day even in freezing weather. I run out to change it a couple times a day. Others use heated waterers or electric dog bowls.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I keep my food inside the coop all the time. I made some PVC feeders that hang on the studs inside the coop. No more mess or waste once I started using them. I just recently started putting the water inside the coop since the temperatures are freezing the water at night. Right now I give them warm fresh water in the morning and check it again in the afternoon to make sure that it has not frozen. If it has I give them more warm water. I have two double walled waterers and just keep rotating them to make sure they have fresh water. This is my first winter with chickens and I have to say, I wish I still lived in AZ where you don't have to worry so much about frozen hoses and waterers. [​IMG]

4. Oscgrr

Oscgrr Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Oops. Sorry, I didn't notice there was a topic in the index already designated "Feeding and Watering..." I appreciate the responses I've gotten so far, thank you. I'll pay more attention next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by