Food and Water during bad weather

salastro

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2020
Southern NY
Hello everyone,

we are currently predicted to get a foot or more of snow this week, being this is my first year with my flock I was looking for input if I should be moving their waterer and possibly a feeder into their coop and keeping them locked inside the day of the storm? or if I should let them keep their normal routine and give them the option to go outside in the snow and such and keep their food/water outside?

Thanks.

How old are your chickens? What else do you know about the weather that's coming? Is it going to be windy? Is it going to snow constantly for the whole week? Will there be sunshine in between the snow, etc.? Also, are you or someone going to be home during all this?

ETA: Phht just once I wish I could catch my typos BEFORE I hit Post!

Agreed. Water in the coop at night can lead to frostbite. They don't eat or drink at night anyway. Is it just going to snow one day?

yes, I have a heated waterer outside for them. they are all 8-10 months old. as far as the snow they are saying Wednesday into Thursday for it (not sure of the exact timing yet) with wind. someone will be home but they arnt exactly easy to wrangle back into their coop from the run if the weather gets real bad.

I wasn't thinking about wrangling them back into the coop, they'll likely do that on their own. I was thinking someone might need to keep their water thawed, but it sounds like you've got that covered.

yea, water had the water freeze on me once a couple weeks ago but nothing since I plugged in the heater. Im more thinking should I even let them out in the weather or just put food/water in the coop and leave them in for the day or two and not open the pop door.

yea, water had the water freeze on me once a couple weeks ago but nothing since I plugged in the heater. Im more thinking should I even let them out in the weather or just put food/water in the coop and leave them in for the day or two and not open the pop door.
If the coop is large enough...

Then I would put the feed and water in the coop, pop door open.. unless it is going to be super gusting, then pop door closed.

Back
Top Bottom