Food and water for chicks?! Placement help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by philyc, Jun 9, 2016.

1. philyc

philyc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2016
    Suffolk, UK
    Help please. Our chicks are hatching and I've just had a thought. Where should the food and water go?

One of our bedpost hens is hatching them so they are just in the coop. Should I put food and water in the co-op with then and the other hens or should I just leave it outseid?

It's about a 3.5 inch step to get in/out of the coop.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I would put some with them, doesn't have to be a whole lot but something mamma can show her babies until they are all ready to go out.

3. philyc

philyc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2016
    Suffolk, UK
    Thanks, I have put a small dish of water and some food in the coop with them along with ramps from the nest box and into the run just in case.

1 person likes this.
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Be sure the water is such that the babies can't stumble into it. Many chicks have drowned in less than 1/2" of water left in an open dish.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have a few broodies in the main flock right now. My feeder and waterer for the adult birds are both elevated, to keep the water clean and reduce feed waste. I simply sprinkle feed on the ground a few times a day for the chicks to eat, and set up a smaller waterer on a 2x4 or brick, whatever, to keep it our of the bedding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by