food and water in coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thehbcrew, Jun 18, 2011.

1. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    I have those big water and feed cans hanging underneath my coop for them to eat and drink from all day. I havent been putting food or water in the coop at all anymore. Should i be? When i do put them in there all they seem to do is knock it over and soak there bedding, then when that happens it starts to get gross in there. So is it necessary for them to eat and drink in there coop when they go in for the night? They go inside at 830 at night, and someone said they dont see at all in the dark, so im figuring they don't really need it.

Thanks ahead of time

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    As long as you do not leave them locked in the coop for a time after they wake up, they do not need food or water inside the coop. They do not eat or drink when it is too dark for them to see.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have water inside and the coop door is open all night with food outside. My coop is connected to the run, which is secure...so they have access day and night. But even if I closed the coop door, they always have access to water...just in case we can't get out there early enough to get them some...they are up at 4 am at times...

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Mine are starving and thirsty in the morning. They can't get up until I turn the light on or open the outside door. I currently keep the food and water in the coop all day. They still are spilling the food and it's on the concrete floor under the pine chips. I let the chicks scratch that up before putting more down. I have two waterers on blocks. Neither really get chips in them anymore, they seem to scratch away from the waterers.

If you let them out early enough, it should be fine.

5. mom2many

mom2many Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    I bought poultry nipples and made a water bottle for them out of an old pop bottle. They still drink but it wont spill [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Lee-in-Iowa

Lee-in-Iowa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Quote:Um, what's a poultry nipple? How many bottles per how many chickens? (I have eight now.) Thanks!

7. mom2many

Jun 15, 2011
  8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I got some too, have to rig it up. [​IMG]

9. mom2many

Jun 15, 2011
    Quote:I really want to run a length of pvc pipe across the run like in the last video! I was also thinking about putting a small pond warmer or fish tank warmer in it for the winter and putting a bigger one in the coop. They work either way so you can put them on the side of a bucket (as long as the water is high enough) or the bottom. So I thought it might be an extra source for warmth and put off extra radiant heat. Not sure how I want to do it but I do [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by