food and water in coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bleith, Jul 12, 2011.

1. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I have 4 7-8 week old chicks that have always put themselves to bed. couldn't ask for more. my question is, do I have to put water and feed in the coop area when they are in bed so to speak? or can I just leave it outside in the enclosed run and they can have it in the morning when I let them out?

2. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I've been wondering the same thing. My chicks are only 4 weeks old so I have a heat lamp in the coop and I leave the water in the coop when they "go to bed" but I have not been putting the feeder in there with them at night. The one time I left the feeder in the coop over night they made a HUGE mess with all the food...lol Mine seem to be doing alright with just eating during the day, but in the mornings when I let them out they go straight for the feeder so maybe I should be leaving the food in with them... [​IMG]

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

It's up to you, if you let them out early, some say they can wait. Mine do, but during the winter I will have food and water inside. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If your diligent about letting them out in the morning then there's no reason to have water and food in the coop. While chickens sleep they really sleep, food and water wouldn't be used until they awake in morning. So it's all about how diligent you are and what you consider morning.

I've a small roosting coop so leave the food and water hanging in their run too.

5. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I have a small roosting coop as well. That is why I am thinking to leave out the water and feed in the run. Not a lot of room. I usually have the coop door open by 8 am and they put them selves to bed this time of year around 8:30-9PM,In the winter I may bring a small waterer in the roositng coop, but still leave food out. Heck, I go all night with out eating and drinking. lol

6. thecraycoop

thecraycoop New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    I too am wondering the same thing. I have food and water in the closed run area and food and water inside the coop. They seem to make such a mess of the water and food in there. I first hung them off of their roost but they would always seem to roost right on top of them and make a huge mess with their droppings. Now, I just leave them on the floor of the coop but I am thinking maybe just not have anything in their at all. Plus I cant seem to control the red ants in the run area. Any suggestions?

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I have it in mine, but I think it depends on where you live and how cold it gets. As someone posted above, during the winter your flock may want to stay inside in which case they'll need food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by