Food and Water in coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Canegirl0713, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Canegirl0713

Canegirl0713 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Wondering if I need to put food and water in their coop at night.... I live in Florida so I'm thinking the water is a must.... But I'm also trying to deter rodents/snakes. Any advice?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I have a raised coop and have no problems with rodents or snakes getting in there. The bigger issue you have to worry about is the raccoons there.

3. Canegirl0713

Canegirl0713 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    [​IMG] Here is a pic of my coop. We have buried hardware cloth 12in deep all around and have bird netting on top of the chicken wire from the middle down to the ground all around the coop. Trying to prevent everything including snakes!

4. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    No need for food or water in the coop they go to bed at dusk and wake at dawn. But they do need access to both in the early morning. I live in FL too and have never seen my chickens get up at night to have a snack or a drink.

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    You're right, they don't eat or drink at night. I have mine in my coop because I free range and don't have a pen. A secure pen with food and water in it is a good idea.

6. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    most of my cochin hens get up atleast once if not twice a night and grab a few bites of food and sometimes a drink.

their food and water isn't in their sleeping area it out in the little run but they do get up most nights.

7. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

That is odd, I wouldn't think that they would be able to see anything, much less have interest in getting up.

8. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    i think they get up cause i turn on the back porch light and even though their coop and run area is still dark its apparently enough light for them

1 person likes this.
  9. Theweddlefarm

Theweddlefarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Once mine hit the roost, they're there until day break. :)

10. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I leave feed and water inside coop at all times. I don't wake up at the crack of dawn to let my chickens out so they need to have access to get in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by