Food and water in the coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cluckermomofsix, Apr 18, 2012.

1. cluckermomofsix

cluckermomofsix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Peyton, Colorado
    I introduced my 5-week old chicks to their new coop on Saturday. They have a heat lamp at night, as it is still getting below freezing here at night. I have been rounding them up in the late afternoon/early evening and putting them back into it. Since they are in there for 10-12 hours, I have also been putting a small feeder and waterer in with them also. Is this the right thing today? Reason I ask, is that when I opened the door for them to come out into their run this morning, they all stayed inside, completely content. They have a big feeder and waterer in the run, so it's not as though the coop is their only supply. Am I starting a bad habit by feeding/watering them inside the coop? Or should they have access to it there also? What about when they start laying?

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I keep the food and water in the coop. IMO, leaving the food outside, you will just attract and feed the wild birds that live in the area. Also, it could attract mice and possibly rats. In the summer I will put an extra water fount out for the chickens. but other that that, the water stays in the coop. As far as them staying in the coop and not coming out, that won't last, you'll find they will practically run you over when you open the door after they get a little older.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by